Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 16/4 for Roubo benchtop

Blog Entries
    Patrick, My friend John’s will be the same as yours, 28” deep. The wood is 10’ but once we cut the ends it will probably be 110”~. You guys both know your needs well enough to make a very informed decision. For me I use a workbench as a planing beam so I constantly wish it were much thinner and long as possible.

We’re using my jointer for the work, so I get to have a taste of what it’s like to build a monster bench. I think he plans to keep the top in individual slabs so that he can assemble it.

12/4 seems fine to me, I have a 12/4 planing beam that is plenty heavy enough for chopping.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I would rather work with 8/4. Easier and cheaper. But if you see it as compromise ,stick to your first choice.

Thanks Patrick. That is an incredible piece of functional art you have created!

Thank you everyone for all the great input and advice. I went and looked at the 16/4 ash. The price wound up being higher than he led me to believe on the phone. It will basically cost me double to use the 16/4 instead of 8/4. Based on this factor alone, I have decided to use the 8/4. I couldn't see paying an extra $500 to avoid the extra glue ups.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Polubinsky View Post
    Brian,

I built an ash Roubo with Benchcrafted plans and hardware 3 years ago. ...

Cliff
    How about posting a pic (or two or three) Cliff? :-)

Patrick - Great bench. Very nice work. How do your holdfasts do with the 5.5" top? Did you counterbore from the underside to lessen the length of 3/4" hole (or 1" if thats the size of your holdfasts).

Blog Entries
    You might contact Horizon before you give up on 16/4. I don’t know the premium for it, but the last batch I saw was just incredible stuff.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Yes try Horizon it where I got my lumber.

They are also great people to deal with and make spending money amjoy by comparison to many we have to give our hard earned money to because they have something we want and a terrible attitude to boot.

Your gonna have the bench for. Long long time. At least from my perspective and considering $500 is nothing. I’m also not a frugal guy with champagne tase ona beer budget.

Thanks for saying somthat means a lot. I draw much inspiration from others so it’s nice when someone else is inspired by your work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Behrens View Post
    Thanks Patrick. That is an incredible piece of functional art you have created!

Peter Ross holdfast made for 1” holes.

I did nothing but drill 1” holes. I can’t believe how well they work. I never would had believed it but what a dream they are. Working on this bench I almost never reach for anything but a hold fast.

The Peter Ross stuff is just exceptional. Imop a hand made bench deserves nothing less than hand made accessories. I would love to commission him to make me a handle to attach to the screw portion or moving portions for the bench-crafted leg vise. Don’t get me wrong the benchcrafted leg vise is great it just does not exude hand made the way everything else does.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Catts View Post
    Patrick - Great bench. Very nice work. How do your holdfasts do with the 5.5" top? Did you counterbore from the underside to lessen the length of 3/4" hole (or 1" if thats the size of your holdfasts).
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 07-30-2018 at 10:12 PM.

Brian,

No matter whether you use 8/4 or 16/4, you have a kick-ash bench

I made my top from 8/4 maple and selected flatsawn boards for the top, which created a quartersawn top when laminated. I build as a split top, which I high recommend. With the caveat that I didn't like the split top and later glued the halves together. It was only then that I needed help with the build. I built it with the BC tail vise, which I use all the time.

Good luck and hope to see your progress posted here. And it will be o.k. if it takes longer than you think--mine took almost three years to finish

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra