Thread: Replace or repair a Bosch 3107 DVS ROS sander

Replace or repair a Bosch 3107 DVS ROS sander

I've had my Bosch sander for years. Been a work horse. But today, it stuttered then quit. I use an orbital sander enough that it's needed, no question about that. But when a unit is close to 10-15 years old, what's your criteria for replacing or repairing. I've looked up the repair parts costs: There are three parts that fix a Bosch 3107 DVS that won't start close to 75% of the time (cord, brushes, on/off switch). That would cost only $36.00. Vice a new similar sander for $150.00 and up or $90.00 for a factory reconditioned. My thinking is: if I order the parts and they don't fix it, I'm out $36.00 and some time. But if they fix it, I've saved a boat load and maybe use the money I've saved to buy some gadget along the way. Good thinking, or are the new Bosch sanders that good, I shouldn't hesitate and go for new. Thoughts? What's your criteria?
    Real American Heros don't wear Capes, they wear Dogtags.

Hi Don, my main concerns are sander performance and dust collection.

I tossed my other ROS's when I bought a Festool ROS.

Dust collection is superb and my hand doesn't go numb, the sander also sands very well..........Regards, Rod.

Easy enough to test the cord and switch. The brushes test last. If they are worn pushing in with the meter probes should be enough extra force to start the motor if the switch is on.
    I have a Milwaukee drill with a weird easy to replace cord. It is almost cheaper to buy a good used drill then that $20 cord. Any other tool I would make new cord.
    Bill D.

I also have the same model sander. Have replaced the pad several times, and it has been over a lot of miles. Mine is starting to act up, was wondering if I could send it to a service center and have it refurbished? Have the fittings so I can use it attached to my vac.

Blog Entries
    I would check the brushes before I went making any decisions. If the tool has not been abused, the brushes (which are a wear part) sound like the most likely issue and are not expensive. I ran a Craftsman router for 30 years and only replaced the brushes once in all that time. It still worked when I gave it to a forum member years ago.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I’d agree that starting with the brushes makes sense and is inexpensive to do. After that, if it isn’t the brushes, I personally would start thinking about another machine.

Check the brushes first; easiest and cheapest thing to fix.
    I contemplated the Festool since I have heard lots of positive comments. But I have a large stack of sandpaper and I would have to start over again selecting a range of paper if I switched. So when my PC RO sander got sick, I got a Bosch which used the same 8-hole paper.

You should do both.

Replacing those parts will probably fix the old one and a new one will probably be better, I especially like variable speed.

The reason you want two sanders is to improve and speed your work. One with fine paper and one with coarse.

My method; try fine, if it isn't enough, grab coarse then go back to fine,,,all in 20 seconds.

The 3107 dvs is variable speed.