Thread: Woodworking projects: Where do you get inspiration project ideas?

Woodworking projects: Where do you get inspiration project ideas?

Woodworking is a curiously difficult animal for me to research, because the vast majority of the time that I type anything related to a woodworking project, I get only a ton of instructions and videos showing how to make things with a huge shop full of expensive powertools -- none of which I have. And, whilst I could in theory do similar things with hand-tools, I'd usually have to change my methodology in such dramatic ways that such videos don't help much.

There are plenty of explanations on how to cut mortises, sharpen plane irons, saw dovetails, and all of the individual skills that go into woodworking. And, there are a few great resources on how to build cool things like workbenches, saw-horses, vises, hand-planes, bowsaws, and all of that great and fun stuff which I've enjoyed. But there aren't a lot of people showing off "end product" type projects and how to build them -- or, at least, I've not found many!

Any recommendations? I'm interested in anything from Youtube channels to old 19th century manuscripts. I'm not keen on large ornate furniture, but rather small household items and crafts -- maybe the occasional shelf or side table. Of course, feel free to share sources on that large ornate furniture as I'm sure many people besides me would be interested
    Last edited by Luke Dupont; 07-26-2018 at 9:00 AM.

Blog Entries
    I'm not sure what the problem is -- a lack of material showing the process of converting raw lumber into a finished product? With hand tools? Personally, I think there is a ton of stuff out there that shows that. If that's your issue, then you've got 38 seasons of exactly that with the Woodright's Shop. There's a fair amount of coverage in Fine Woodworking and, although I don't read it, Popular Woodworking. There's a ton of stuff with Paul Sellars and Rob Cosman.

Blog Entries
    It sounds like you are looking for plans with an associated how-to video maybe? Certainly something like Phil Lowe's 'the Art of Woodworking' series can show you all the methods to make the parts outlined in a plan. Plans are very plentiful from many sources. I do not know if there is a hand-tool-only version of something like Marc J. Spagnuolo's Wood Whisperer Guild building series. Maybe some of you full-blown knuckle-draggers can direct him better than this weak-hybrid-woodworker
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

FWIW - When it comes to my projects, it comes down to a few of things. 1. I have a need, either self imposed or imposed by family/friends. 2. I have limitations/boundaries on how big or involved it can be. 3. When it gets to its final destination, will it need to be disassembled again, or is it 'permanent'? 4. What's the ratio of practical vs 'pretty'?

Once I know those four things, then it goes to rough plan to detailed plan, to mock-up, to grumbling and swearing, then to relearning something I've forgotten . . . and then jump in with both feet.

Anything that needs to be built is actually nothing more than variations of a few basic methods, just applied in different ways. Make wood straight, make wood smooth, cut wood into form (either straight or non-straight, join wood in some way, finish wood, deliver product, bask in glory/receive warm fuzzies.

5. It can come from anywhere. A building, the shape of a tree, something I saw on TV. Anything is a potential source of inspiration. My clients however often have their own ideas of what they want so I have to find a way to combine it so that they and I are satisfied with the end result.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessica de Boer View Post
    It can come from anywhere. A building, the shape of a tree, something I saw on TV. Anything is a potential source of inspiration. My clients however often have their own ideas of what they want so I have to find a way to combine it so that they and I are satisfied with the end result.
    +1 on this.

Many of my ideas come from what has been needed around the house or property.

A box to hold my medications:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ood&highlight=

A stand to hold some books and other clutter:

Book Stand.jpg

Like Thomas Edison said, "find a need and fill it."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Taunton publishing has several comprehensive books on furniture projects - Tables by Anthony Guidice is an excellent resource - I have built several tables from the book. Fine Woodworking has excellent plans for projects also.

8. If you're looking for instructional videos using hand-tools only, there are two woodworkers that I can't recommend highly enough.

Paul Sellers. His Woodworking Masterclasses has a ton of projects from simple boxes to a dining room table to a large tool cabinet. He has a number of free videos on this website and he also has a YouTube channel. There is a monthly subscription fee to see his project videos, and you can also download videos to watch later. I've been a subscribed member of his website for about 4 years now and have watched almost all of his videos. I honestly can't see myself ever unsubscribing as I believe in supporting the people that have given so much to the area of hand-tool woodworking.
    YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/PaulSellersWoodwork

Richard McGuire, also known as The English Woodworker. He has a website that has 6 project videos on it, and you buy the project you want and can then download the videos or watch them on his website. I've bought all his videos and they're very good.
    YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/EnglishWoodworker

Google, "boarded furniture" and you will find lots of things you can build to match your skill level and tool kit.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.