Thread: Miter Bench Joint Strength Test

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Miter Bench Joint Strength Test

Hello everyone,

I am looking for some advice on testing the strength of these miter joints. Can anyone help with testing these to simulate real life without building a complete bench. See attached pics. Bench is appx 60" in length and 16" wide, by 18" tall. Material is about 1.75" thick alder. My thoughts are if the joint is going to open, it would open from inner out over time with use. I have currently made a few with 7 10-50 dominos spanning the joint. I have been reading more and more, and this method might fail over time. My goal is to make a repeatable test to check several ways of connecting these joints, (spline, my current domino method, using more smaller dominos, epoxy, and a rabbeted miter) video it, and post it. I figure that I could just make half the joint for the bench making a 16"x 16" miter using the same material of each joint. Then secure that to my shop wall upside down to put the stress on the inside of the joint by placing weights on it until it fails. Is this a good way? Any suggestions? My goal is to determine how much weight can sit on my bench without failing(with people sitting on it) I would really appreciate any input.

Thanks
    James
    "what's your next build made of"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by james golob; 07-25-2018 at 6:20 PM.