Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Case For Beater Tools

Blog Entries

A Case For Beater Tools

One of my strong beliefs is to have beater tools for the rough work or as loaners if you have friends/neighbors who want to borrow tools. Of course, some of my tools will not be loaned. In most of those cases my labor will be donated to avoid lending a tool that would likely be damaged by those who borrow tools instead of buying them.

One of my projects is to turn a cedar log into a bench. Here the arm rest is being smoothed with a beater spoke shave:

Beater Tools.jpg

My Dunlap #3 size plane was also used. The wood is still wet, but the grandkids are coming and the wife wanted to have a fire ring out back to toast marshmallows with seating.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

+`1 on having a few beaters.

SWMBO and grandpeanuts are a sure path to making things, even if you never thought you would make whatever it is you are making.

ken

I was going to say +1 on having beater tools, but Ken beat me to it by quite a bit, so I say +2 on having beater tools. I have had bad experiences on loaning good tools that I have taken very good care of for 40 years, such that they looked nearly as nice as when I bought them new, because I take very good care of my tools.

Like Jim, I would rather help a friend with a project than have them nearly ruin one of my tools. The friend is more important to me than the tool, so by helping them I get to help them and at the same time protect my tools. It is a win for me both ways.

I also help out with work days at the church, and with what job I usually end up being assigned to, those of us who work on such items are almost always ones who are pretty good with tools. I know the guys on the committee, and they know which of us have the carpentry skills. In those cases I don't mind the other guy or guys using my tools and it is vise versa with the other guys in that group too.

However, I hope to get to go work on things at a relatively close church camp, but there you have no idea who is going to be there or who will want to borrow what, and the organizers can ask folks about what skills they have, but the truth is they have no idea who has what skills. That's where I want a serviceable set of beaters with me. There is no way I would take something like my one and only very carefully restored 120+ year old 10" Jackson very thin plate dovetail saw with me on that kind of a trip. That's the type of work where my 40 year old (bought new when I was young) cheap relatively thick plate gents saw goes on the trip.

Like the others say, the beaters are also good choices for the rough work jobs. Those are jobs where I can tear something up myself, simply because of the nature of the work. Problem is my beater tools are not sharp, and I may not even have a full set of beaters. (In some cases though, my best tool is actually just a tuned up beater.)

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 07-25-2018 at 9:26 PM.

Agreed. I have a set of Marples blue handle chisels for rough work. I work my LN bevel edge chisels with crisp strikes from a precision mallet. I wail on the Marples with a hammer. Hammer baby!
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    In some cases though, my best tool is actually just a tuned up beater.
    That describes my three #4s. Two of them are type 6 that have been used hard and put away wet before they came my way. One has a tote socket with bad treads restored using JB Weld. The third plane is a SW era plane with the heal broken off a bit, what looks like a small crack forming at the mouth and tote and knob from a 60s era hardware store plane. It is a Franken plane of sorts. All three are good to go. To me, the type 13 is the beater.

I wail on the Marples with a hammer. Hammer baby!
    Good they can take it. My preference when hitting a chisel is to have something with a large head so if the blow is slightly off there is a good chance of avoiding injury.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Was I the only one expecting to see a crude toolbox build?

In any case, I partly agree:

When I first started woodworking, I bought a ton of "junk" hardware store tools (some of which were okay, some of which left me with only frustration) which I later turned into beater tools, or, if they were bad enough, got rid of, gave away, sold, or used as materials to make better tools or try modifying said tool. It's natural to get a bunch of beater tools this way as I'm sure most people do, and they can come in handy, so why not keep them around?

But, there's a flip side!

Now, I'm in Japan. I have a really small apartment, and no shop. So what I need are a very small number of good, decent quality tools for small projects, and no excess junk for which I don't have room.

So, I bought a bunch of mid range tools that do the job well without breaking the bank, whilst avoiding low end stuff that I'll want to replace at a later date with something better. And, now I have a good set of tools without much want aside from the occasional thing I'm still lacking. I've got a truly minimalist setup currently: a few decent chisels, a single plane, a couple of decent saws, a few gimlets and hole-boring tools, and a few decent measuring and marking tools. The only thing I have an excess of are stones, because I'm one of those silly people who like to try out lots of different sharpening stones, and I always justify that I can use them in the kitchen or when camping, etc.

In this scenario, I'm aiming for a very minimalist tool set for the occasional project: I'm an occasional hobbyist and not a dedicated woodworker with a luxurious shop and tons of space (maybe one day!), so I just don't have room for tools that I won't be using most of the time. Duplicate tools are out of the question.

That said, "beater tools" versus "good tools" is very relative! The tools I consider my "good tools" (both now and in the past) might very well be "beaters" for someone else. And, some tools that would be considered "beaters" can work just as well as very high end tools so long as the steel is up to the task, and the tool is given whatever attention or elbow grease it needs to become of good service.
    Last edited by Luke Dupont; 07-26-2018 at 9:38 AM.

The trouble I have is that I like using my good tools the best. My good saws cut better than my cheapies. My good chisels hold up *Way* better than my cheapies, etc...

And thus - you see how I have defined "my best".... The ones that work the best are my best tools..... And ironically - "My best tools" are also the ones which hold up best to hard, real life use... And honestly - the wrong tool never holds up well to abuse no matter how good or cheap it is....

I don't have much use for trying to maintain both a set of "Show tools" and a set of "User tools"....

So sure - I understand keeping your best tools out of the hands of abusers.. Or away from chances to damage them.... But that makes a better case for making sure you can use the right tool where it's needed.... .

For example... Neither cheap nor expensive chisels are paint can openers or nail pullers.... No wood saw is up to the task of sawing cement, rocks, or nails.... Neither chisels nor saws are meant to drag around on the floor or slide around on rocks and cement...

Now... In the case of tool stealer/keepers/destroyers... Don't "lend" them anything more than you have to.... And honestly - you don't strictly *have* to lend them anything..... And if you have to - perhaps "lend" them throw away tools knowing that you will never get them back..... I have a nephew who will intentionally try to borrow tools from people when he is doing tasks he is sure will destroy them or he will lose them.. He has his own - but won't use them in these situations... And wants to borrow them from somebody else.... And so he doesn't get tools.... Otherwise... "Here friend, take this fine heirloom Harbor freight chisel...."

In these cases - it's often better to offer to help than to give them the tools anyway.... It's kinda an interesting litmus test..... If he wants to borrow your chain saw - but already has his own... Hmmmmm...... And if he doesn't have any chisels or hand saws - it's pretty likely he doesn't know how to use them - which means he is going to get hurt or destroy them.... And that's a great opportunity to teach somebody how to use stuff...
    Last edited by John C Cox; 07-26-2018 at 10:19 AM.

Blog Entries
    Was I the only one expecting to see a crude toolbox build?
    That thought also came to me as the post was being composed.

But, there's a flip side!

Now, I'm in Japan. I have a really small apartment, and no shop. So what I need are a very small number of good, decent quality tools for small projects, and no excess junk for which I don't have room.
    Just as a case can be made for having more tools than one needs, it is also a good case to be made for being a 'minimalist' in one's tool kit.

I don't have much use for trying to maintain both a set of "Show tools" and a set of "User tools"....
    My only show tool is an inexpensive hardware store saw on which a country scene is painted. My father gave it to me. It hangs on the wall in my shop over my water stone bench.

Unusable tools are usually relegated to a recycling box. Unused tools are set aside for a time when they can be sold to raise money for something else.

jtk

I would like to walk with my wife, as Mr. Koepke does looking the photo. So it's better for me make something for my friends with my tools and not to borrow them. Every tool must have only one owner, I think.

I make a slightly different distinction, based on how I find myself spending my retirement: carpentry tools and shop tools. Even there, if I'm doing something precise, like fine cutting wood trim, the shop tools come out.

But it's nice to have, say, chisels that I can pound on when doing rough carpentry work - these are the once-ubiquitous Stanley yellow-handled No. 60s - and shop chisels. Same with combination squares, although there I particularly like my Millers Falls No. 1200 (think that's the model #) for carpentry: cast iron head, and rule marked no finer than 1/16".
    Last edited by Bill Houghton; 07-27-2018 at 6:08 PM.

It's not just hand tools.

I have a friend and his dad, who are framing carpenters, and who have done a lot of work for me over 30 some years. I am starting a new garage/bedroom addition, which they will be doing most of the work on. I will be dragging out my 80's Unisaw, and a Craftsman RAS for them to use.

They are ultimate pro's, and friends, but no way do they use my SawStop, the Griz slider, or the perfectly set up DeWalt RAS to work on construction lumber (you may remember that story). They kid me a lot about throwing old plywood with nails on my good stuff, and I kid them in return about not paying them.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

There are some on this forum..that think ALL the tools I use...are "beater tools" .....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    There are some on this forum..that think ALL the tools I use...are "beater tools" .....
    Well, maybe just the eggbeaters.

jtk

14. I have a somewhat love/hate relationship with the idea of beater tools. I like tools, for what they allow me to do, for their link to the past and as objects in their own right. I'm a recidivist tool accumulator in a world awash with orphaned tools. It's a disease. Really, i have all of the tools i "need" and then some... and some more. I try not to bring home any abjectly junk tools, but a few do slip in via box lots or otherwise attractive tools with hidden but fatal flaws.

I very seldom loan tools. Should a tool be loaned and not come back or come back damaged the loanee goes on the do not lend to list. Most of the time I prefer to gift tools rather than loan them. Anything that creates a little space in the shop is welcome. If a tool really is a beater (or just a duplicate) and the recipient really is deserving i'm happy to see it go.

One trap for me has been the worn but decent tool for way cheap. I bring it home, clean adjust rehab and sharpen it.... then it's no longer a beater.

Quote Originally Posted by bridger berdel View Post
    I have a somewhat love/hate relationship with the idea of beater tools. I like tools, for what they allow me to do, for their link to the past and as objects in their own right. I'm a recidivist tool accumulator in a world awash with orphaned tools. It's a disease. Really, i have all of the tools i "need" and then some... and some more. I try not to bring home any abjectly junk tools, but a few do slip in via box lots or otherwise attractive tools with hidden but fatal flaws.

I very seldom loan tools. Should a tool be loaned and not come back or come back damaged the loanee goes on the do not lend to list. Most of the time I prefer to gift tools rather than loan them. Anything that creates a little space in the shop is welcome. If a tool really is a beater (or just a duplicate) and the recipient really is deserving i'm happy to see it go.

One trap for me has been the worn but decent tool for way cheap. I bring it home, clean adjust rehab and sharpen it.... then it's no longer a beater.
    Bridger,

Yep, very true.

Berdel's Home for Wayward Tools is open and receiving iron.

ken