Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CNC Webinar?

No lesson here, but I can surely point you in the right direction. In order to write code you need to learn to read it first. Start with the macros you use most often, print them out and run them single step mode on the machine. If you don't know what a command does, look it up and annotate that line with the description. A few passes thru your most common macros and you will be able to make minor mods, which in reality is what most people want to learn. If not, take my online class as it uses that exact method
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

To attend your online options I assume it is as simple as emailing you to arrange a time? I am away for 3weeks, but I will talk to you when I get back.

I would be interested in the gcode part of it specifically with issues regarding adding useful line commands and stop-operator gets a message-and has to hit enter to resume type things. Im doing a little bit of this on my own but Im sure Im not getting it as streamlined as I could.

For instance we run some parts where it would be nice to combine a few files with several places in each and inbetween that would require a tool to be manually inserted, or a reminder to install or remove spacers in the dust shoe, and I am always looking for ways to have the machine hit my mid-point home position (which is right next to the tool rack) with no tool in the spindle, jaws closed (when the spindle comes off a T0 the jaws are open requiring an M12C1 on our machine) and have a message in the code telling the operator "install flycutter", then move to a place on the job and tell the operator "auto z required" and so on. Then when fly cutter op is done, back to mid point, "REMOVE FLY CUTTER" (hit enter to continue) "REMOVE DUST SPACERS?" hit enter to continue.

I have been figuring much of this out based on your giving me the same advice as giving Brad above, by reading and watching the code as the machine runs. Also handy to remember where a function that does something similar is already resident in one of the wincnc operations/macros and pull it up to see how its written.

With all that, Im sure there are a million little things that would be learned from an online class that covers the whole lot, reminds you of the things you already know, forgot about, or overlooked in the chaos.

Do your online classes have a bit of a table of contents stating what they go over?

In most cases it involves the general info for about half of the time, then swaps to the specific examples provided by the customer. As it turns out I've found that most CNC users are a bit frugal with training dollars ahead of time, BUT are very satisfied when their specific questions or problems are answered.

In your case above I would recommend using the stored positions, so that you can adjust from the menu if needed and enter G53 P## as a move to position for an action. If your control software is new enough, use the G5 command. Look in the manual provided with your machine in the WinCNC folder. If G5 is listed then you will be able to take advantage of its features on your control version.
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC