Thread: What to do with a stash of woodies?

What to do with a stash of woodies?

My dad accumulated wooden planes. He didn't really collect them, he just bought them whenever he ran across them in antique or junk stores. Now they are mine. About 45 in all, from coffin smoothers (one with an iron sole) to jointers, a few odds of hollows and rounds, a couple of reeding planes and a few nicer rabbet and shoulder planes. I'm not a wood plane guy and have all the metal planes I need (actually a lot more than I need) and I don't have any space to display these things; at best they'll sit in a couple of plastic totes on a high shelf somewhere until I'm too old to get them down.

Is there any market for these things? Should I just take them to the local antique mall? Offer them to Cracker Barrel? Is there an interior designer that buys them?

Dads planes (1).jpgDads planes (4).jpgDads planes (10).jpg

I like wooden planes. Wish something like that would show up around here. Not that I need that many of course!
    Last edited by Nicholas Lawrence; 07-24-2018 at 10:03 PM.

I picked up a few woodies on a whim from a pawn shop early this year and actually quite like them as users. I really wish I had bought more. There are tons of them at the local antique mall here and they in general are dirt cheap except for some of the plows and more collectible ones. I really want to get some but its in a super touristy area and this time of year during times Im not working I cant park within a 20 minute walk so it just has not happened.

I do see woodies on ebay, most of the time once you factor in shipping it just does not work for me, not really sure how well they sell overall.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 07-25-2018 at 10:00 AM.

Shipping, of course, is the problem. I have all of them in two big plastic totes, except for the jointers, which are too long, and shipping the entire mess of planes would be prohibitively expensive, especially considering the length of the jointers and the relatively fragile nature of the totes.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 07-25-2018 at 10:01 AM.

Blog Entries
    Are you actually in Cache Valley? Craigs list likely wouldn't even work well there.

Antique malls typically want you to rent a space. If there is someone there who sells tools, you might be able to interest them in purchasing the lot.

There look to be a few interesting planes in the group. It might be fun to see if any of them are ready to make shavings.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Dave, there is a forum on this site for selling tools, etc. You might want to look at such.

Stew

7. Had a look at the pictures and sorry to say there were no real stand outs. You might try ebay and put them up at a low starting price to garner interest.

pm sent, and adding some extra to meet 10 character limit . . . .

Yes, I'm in Cache Valley, Richmond up at the north end. Almost in Idaho. Yeah, CL isn't a thing here but KSL works pretty well. I sold a truck canopy in two hours to a guy in Ogden, so maybe I'll list them there or visit with a few of the local antique dealers. However, what I'll probably do first is go through and catalog them individually and then list them in the classified section. This will take a while and right now I'm in the process of moving into a new house, so old wooden planes will be taking a back seat for a while.

I like you idea of cataloging and then listing in the classified section. When you do post them there, place a note here so we know to rush to them.

Blog Entries
    If you need any help with identification, post images here and you will likely find a good answer.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have sold woodies in the past on both CL as well auction site....Generally, they are not as attractive to most tool buyers as the metal...The prices are generally lower than metal and you have to add in freight...Postage can be substantial on the bigger wood jointer planes (BTW they usually have impressive thick irons-not like today's products except perhaps for LN)..
    The right buyer/collector will buy those but don't expect to get wealthy .....G'Luck...
    Jerry

What "reeding" planes do you have? I have a need for a 3/16" center bead plane.

Since you are a member, why not post a few of them on the classifieds here? Offer up a couple of the molding planes and a couple of the smoothers. I think those should fit some of the USPS standard flat rate boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    Since you are a member, why not post a few of them on the classifieds here? Offer up a couple of the molding planes and a couple of the smoothers. I think those should fit some of the USPS standard flat rate boxes.
    Yup, will be doing sometime in the next few weeks; right now we are just beginning to sort out all of our furniture and boxes from a move and there isn't much time for anything. Fortunately I moved the shop LAST year so that's all done...

I think I need to be a contributor to post in the classifieds, but that's a good reason to renew my contributor status.