Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: VFD For 3 Phase Equipment, not just motor

1. Hey, Van. You certainly would know more than I about whether a VFD like the one that came with my 514 would work for John or not. My thought was that it may be something that might work for him. VFDs are definitely not in my area of expertise!

No, I haven't made any progress on the microswitch. Haven't had time yet to talk to a buddy of mine who would know about those kinds of connections.

Best,

Doug

The external dc braking i put on my wj200 for my big cnc mill works under any stop situation. I stop it under gcode fpr example. You wire in the brake and program to enable the external brake and set the time to decelerate. You would wire your estops to activate stop is all. Estops can be any form of switch, the intelligent inputs can be wired for most any type.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Hi John. Did you end up buying the machine? I have an AD751 that I have yet to power up. Don’t need it in the shop I’m in and we don’t have an outlet that will fit the 5-prong plug. I’m preparing a shop at home and was thinking of using VFD’s or a rotary converter. I believe my tool is 5.5 kw. There might be name plate info for the bed motor as well. I also have a three phase 5hp tablesaw, 3hp bandsaw 3hp dust collector and a 1-2hp Felder horizontal mortiser so maybe the rotary phase converter would make more sense than multiple vfds. I was also wondering about wiring and panels necessary for each type of setup.

I have a Felder AD951 and I have a VFD on my 18.5kw SCM sander. (has 2 motors)

I think I am in position to share my thought on this topic

The variable speed control on the AD951 is a single phase inverter, it is activated by the neutral wire/signal, I think for AD741 there is a 2 speed function. is it a single phase or 3 phase motor doing this, I am not sure, but given my experience and lesson learnt from my SCM sander and VFD application, your electrician will have to by pass the power so the VFD is controlling the main motor of the sander. the second motor on the sander controls the feed of the mat.

Did this ever get resolved. There are a couple of these threads in history but they end without a conclusion. Did you end up getting a VFD?

I am in the process of buying a FELDER AD741 3 phase and plan to install one of Jack Forsberg’s VFDs on the motor side and run single phase 230v to the power drive electronics. Has anyone done this and would care to share their experience?

Quote Originally Posted by David Atterbury View Post
    Did this ever get resolved. There are a couple of these threads in history but they end without a conclusion. Did you end up getting a VFD?

I am in the process of buying a FELDER AD741 3 phase and plan to install one of Jack Forsberg’s VFDs on the motor side and run single phase 230v to the power drive electronics. Has anyone done this and would care to share their experience?
    I have done that on a CF741.

It takes a bit of work, however it can be done. It cost about $1K for parts and $300 for inspection.....Rod
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 02-18-2019 at 3:39 PM.

John:

The motor has to be wired to take the change in speed. If it is not wired for it, and you turn the speed down to slow for the turndown ratio on the motor you will burn it up. Brian