Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Martin sliding tablesaw

Looking for a Martin sliding tablesaw

I am thinking of buying a sliding table saw and have looked at several brands. I have also read posts of people suggesting the Martin Brand. As a hobbyist, I can not afford a new Martin, but would like to find a resource for used. Most of the used are listed in the EU. I am trying to find a newer saw in 7-10k price range. I appreciate any information or suggestions.

Thanks,

Ash

Sorry, you will not find a late model Martin Slider for that price. I am an Altendorf fan and owner, and the best deal I saw on a late model was $25k at an auction for a 10-year old saw. You will need to look at the models previous to the LCD controllers for your price range, and am estimating you are in the 20-year old range. 20-year old Altendorf saws are going for $8-10k with no LCD controllers on them--completely manual or possibly a motor control with digital readout if you are lucky. If you want a newer saw, look at SCMI. The Nova 400 is just above your price range and is very good for the money. The sliding table is fantastic.

People/businesses that spend $35k and up on new saws are serious buyers and will not likely sell their machines unless circumstances force them too; thus, you will have difficulty finding one for sale.

-Greg Stahl
    Last edited by Gregory Stahl; 07-24-2018 at 11:50 AM.

Watch the Machinery Exchange on woodweb.com. Joe Calhoon is the Martin guy here and knows way more about them than I do. They are rare on the used market ( I'm assuming you are looking for pre electronics vintage ). Altendorf is the other saw of equal build and they are more common used. The post 1995 use steel rather than phenolic ways so they are preferred. I'd also expand my search to include other commercial machines. Condition and completeness are important. I have several old sliders and many old machines and can tell you opportunity should trump model. The old SCM SI16 or Hydro 3200 were a step down from the Martin but still very heavy by hobby standards as they were full industrial and well built. The SI16 is so common you can find a great one for 4-7K and a parts machine for 1-2K. I bought two and made one complete and have a bunch of spare parts. I used the extra money to buy a set of Mac's clamps. Go to airtightclamps.com and look them over. They are well worth the price. Dave

Like most things, there are different machines in the Martin line-up with different price points. Their entry level machines are actually re-badged Griggio machines. I have the T60C which is the lower end of their line-up and significantly less in every way to their flagship tablesaw, the T75 PreX.

If you have not had a chance to see several manufacturers, I strongly recommend you attend the IWF show in Atlanta 8/22-25. Martin, SCMI, Felder, etc will all be there. I would love a Martin for my hobby some day. The Felder 700 series is as much saw as I realistically need. IMHO the real advantage to be really heavy duty old school machines is that they are bulletproof in a commercial shop where the help slams sheets up on them all day long. I received my Felder Jan 2010 and it's stayed pretty perfectly aligned since getting it. When you see a Martin T75 you will say wow! My friend has a T60C and its way better than my Felder but at a price, I think he paid like $25K New

Mark Hennaberry From solid wood Machinery is rebuilding a T 17 Martin and I’m pretty sure he selling it. I believe he’s even posted a rebuild thread here.
    jack
    English machines

They are out there. Personally I am a fan of the cast iron 60s and 70s sliders.

Where are you located? I know someone who has a 2000 Martin T-72A that may be for sale.
    Last edited by Randy Henry; 07-24-2018 at 4:28 PM.

Check ExFactory and/or Woodweb; I have seen Martin saws on these sites before, but you will have to be patient and wait for one to come up for sale.

My boss just purchased a early 2000’s t-73 for $9K

It’s imop seen heavy use although as far as I can tell still not under power a very nice saw. If veything is in good working order and we can get the saw aligned properly even in its ratty condition I would take it over a brand new Scmi or Felder any day.

For a point of reference when I recently took delivery of my T-54 jointer the rep or dealer told me the T-60 C starts at like $33k and equipped the the way I want it. Digital rip, crosscut fence and miter gauge I’d be looking at more like $43K.

He was also quite upfront with me that he recently sold a brand new T-60C to a client whom was previously using the early 2000’s T-73 my boss just purchased and the client felt the build quality was not substantial enough over say Scmi or Felder or whatever to warrant the extra cost.

I don’t even begin to agree with his client but each to his own.

Good luck if you have the money and willingness I don’t think you will regret buying a Martin. Just don’t buy that entry level Griggrio. If that’s what you want just buy the Griggrio although recently I read right here that Griggrio May be short lived?

“I don’t even begin to agree with his client but each to his own.”

Agree with you Patrick.

On another note, I bought my T60C one year ago, all digital/motorized, for a lot less than the numbers your rep quoted you.

John,

Yes I agree you can t even begin to compare the T-60 to any Scmi nevermind a Nova 400or Felder anything.

I try to keep perspective on the matter a bit censored as many just can’t see why spending even a little more a tool capable of the same job as the next nevermind whatnin some cases can be double. I get lots of flack or pushback from all my peers in the trade with regard to my options on Martin vrs the rest.

Sadly I think I have to purchase through my local dealer or rep. I sure would be very disappointed to find out I’m being had. I would also be shocked as my local dealer or rep to date has been very helpful and even gone out of his way to help me acquire used Martin machinery. Well in this last case not acquire it but warn me that the seller was completely nuts and to be careful and make sure I don’t get ripped off.

Pm me if you wouldn’t mind how your machine is specked and what you paid. If it is was substaiallymlessmi should know as I will buy one in the near future. Probably this time next year?

Keep in mind that any 20 year old saw will be substantially heavier in build to a new one. Apples to apples. No doubt about Martin, Hoffmann, Altendorf, or Reinhard being the best but a 2000+ lb 20 year old saw is still pretty solid for hobby use. I'm not talking you out of a Martin, but if a good condition saw close enough to pick up comes up, you should take a good look. I think some Holz Her were built by Altendorf and are pretty nice. Even the Chinese sourced WA80 is a nice saw. Dave

There are a lot of sliders that will out perform you before you get to Martin. And yes I've used them and the Martin. Get a good slider with local support.

I have not seen the WA 80 in person David but I have been told to steer clear. At least of buying one new that and I guess even used for that matter.

I am inclined to trust your insight though. As I said I have never put my hands on one so.

I’m also told that Altendorf is now being largely outsourced at they have also been purchased and their machines just can’t compare to the high end Martin saws. I would tend to agree as I have put my hands on a F45 Elmo that was only a couple years old. A nice machine indeed but imop not even close to a T-75.

The above really does come down to as many suggest to me “how nice does a machine really need to be”?