Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Martin sliding tablesaw

I totally agree with there are so many beautiful older machines that are more than capable of meeting most everyone’s performance capabilties. In the last few years, I have purchased a few incredible old machines (thanks to Dave for some great advice) that bring a ton of performance and “sole” to my shop. But, the centerpiece for sure is my Martin Slider.

Someone here has the WA80 who is a good machine guy but I have no first hand knowledge. My point is I'd look at anything in good condition and assess. I have ripped 5" thick oak on my SCMI that took two people ( one and one half as I'm old ) to lift and the saw handle it. The old stuff lacked some ergonomics compared to new but the builds were stout. DaveDSCN3562.jpg

I guess the question is why do you think you need a Martin? Guys like Joe C need and can justify that type of iron, but for many of us low use types there are other options that will work just fine. I want a Martin slider and shaper one day, but I will have to wait to find an old one to restore like Mike H. I had an option to buy an old one 6months ago from the 90's, but it was still $14k. I would look at the amount of work that goes in to restoring one properly before heading down that path. Both Mark and Joe have documented Martin restorations on the Canadian woodwork site. Mark H's current one is amazing, and it seems unlikely that will sell for $7k when done.
    Last edited by Brad Shipton; 07-25-2018 at 12:19 AM.

Dave, that seems like a lot of saw to be on those castors?

There's a very clean and relatively new looking Felder K-915 for $5,600 on New York CL at the moment. Location looks to be Secaucus NJ.

Needs a good home!

The Zambus casters are rated for something like 2200 lbs each and i think there are five on the machine. I don't move it much but it needs to get out of the way of the cars. Dave

What about a hammer k3 or a minimax? Both seem fully capable. Not sure what a new Martin can do that those cannot.

I have the Zambia caster on two of my machines. Both machines where purchased new and came with the casters on them. I can attest they are very well built. I also took notice them on that saw.

We use a 80’s f45 at work right now and yes the build quality is awesome except for the phenolic guides that can’t be replaced.

For me when considering a slider two are must haves if I’m gonna spend even $5k. I don’t ever want to be limited by depth of cut at 90% nor on the bevel for the most part. Weekly I find myself limited by the 2.75” depth of cut @90% on our now f45. Just today I was making up a miter wrapped end panel with a 3” return and a 2” return. I cut the whole thing to width then did the glue up knowing the whole thing would have to be cross cut into two panels that stock one atop each other when I was done with the glue up. The fact is my saw can’t do that so I have to employ a more time consuming method. Having more than one panel that needs to finish at the same exact size to make a four sided piece it’s kinda shame it couldn’t be as easy at throwing the panels up on the slider.

Today I also built this continuous grain 2” thick miter wrapped computer monitor thing for a desk I recently built . With the blade at 45% I was barely able to get a 45% in 2” stock. For me at least this is not a limitation I am willing to assume when making such a large purchase $5k or $45K..

I also feel a cross cut fence that can accurately and with ease bevel is paramount.

Others may have different needs but at least for me the two above are a must if I’m gonna spend for anything more than the cost of a regular cabinet saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    I have not seen the WA 80 in person David but I have been told to steer clear. At least of buying one new that and I guess even used for that matter.

I am inclined to trust your insight though. As I said I have never put my hands on one so.

I’m also told that Altendorf is now being largely outsourced at they have also been purchased and their machines just can’t compare to the high end Martin saws. I would tend to agree as I have put my hands on a F45 Elmo that was only a couple years old. A nice machine indeed but imop not even close to a T-75.

The above really does come down to as many suggest to me “how nice does a machine really need to be”?
    Can you provide references to Altendorf being outsourced? Altendorf has a very impressive assembly line where they produce the F series and WA80 machines in Germany. If anything, I believe they are growing with new capital investment. Altendorf has over 250 employees just to make saws! Altendorf just bought Hebrock. Their latest press release talks about expanding.

Also, you never have seen a WA80. I have. It is a nice saw. Last I checked, it was $19k. You cannot have a $70k quality machine for $19k. It is a price point machine.

I’m not saying Martin is not a nice machine. I think they have spent a fortune designing it to look impressive.

I could buy two F45s for the price of the high end Martin. My F45 shares the same frame as the most expensive Elmo. To get a Martin in the same price range, I would have to settle for a T60.

-Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    I strongly recommend you attend the IWF show in Atlanta 8/22-25. Martin, SCMI, Felder, etc will all be there.
    I love standing near the Martin booth and measuring the drool strings on the guys leaving the area. I still make the pilgrimage every other year even though the number of companies that appeal to a hobbyist like me has dwindled in the last 10 years. I still enjoy kicking the tires, I usually go before the weekend so I can strike up a conversation with reps and not feel like I am taking them away from potential customers.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Irish View Post
    What about a hammer k3 or a minimax? Both seem fully capable. Not sure what a new Martin can do that those cannot.
    Well it sure ain't gonna make EVERYONE "blue" with jealousy like a Martin...

This discussion of hobbyists and Martin reminds me of the most impressive hobby woodworking shop I have ever seen and I am not easily impressed with shops.

This is some stills of Kent Adkins shop in St Louis and before anyone questions it he makes very fine period furniture.

The only thing that keeps despair from overwhelming me is he could still use some help on his bandsaw game. Only 2?

BTW he is a member here but I don't think I have ever seen him post.
    Last edited by Van Huskey; 07-25-2018 at 12:14 AM.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Keep in mind that any 20 year old saw will be substantially heavier in build to a new one. Apples to apples. No doubt about Martin, Hoffmann, Altendorf, or Reinhard being the best but a 2000+ lb 20 year old saw is still pretty solid for hobby use. I'm not talking you out of a Martin, but if a good condition saw close enough to pick up comes up, you should take a good look. I think some Holz Her were built by Altendorf and are pretty nice. Even the Chinese sourced WA80 is a nice saw. Dave
    The WA80 is German. WA6 is Chinese.

My Altendorf weighs about 3000lbs, no concrete—all steel and cast iron.

Nevermind found my answer

Edward Papa at Simantech on Long Island is a Martin dealer and quite knowledgable. From time to time he takes older machines in trade and resells them. Worth a call.

As others have said, $10k is not going to get you a late model Martin. If you want electronic readouts and positioning you will be paying more. The old ones will last forever if you get one that has not been beat up.

10 years ago I found a 20+ year old T73 in excellent shape for $8500 and the shop that employed me used it until they traded it in on a T60c last year. They got nervous about maintaining it after replacing bearings in the main motor and arbor, but I am sure some shop will be running it happily after I am retired.

Greg, sorry about the sourcing screw up. Am I remembering right that you thought the WA80 compared quite favorably or even preferably to the Felder Format saw? Dave