Thread: Preventing rust in a basement shop

Preventing rust in a basement shop

I have a basement shop. The humidity is very low and the shop is quite dry summer and winter. I keep my hand tools on open shelving. I want to treat my planes and chisels after use to keep dust and rust from building up on them. I'm thinking of purchasing the Lee Valley plane maintenance kit for this purpose. Of course I am open to other ideas that you have found useful.

I also have a low humidity basement shop.
    I just use paste wax and have not had any issues.

My basement shop in naturally really dry in the winter but very humid in the summer. I now run a dehumidifier and keep it at 35% and dont see any issues. My garage on the other hand is humid in the summer and I use Johnson paste wax to prevent rust. At any sign of rust wd40 is used to wipe it off and more wax is applied.

Things like proximity to ocean (salt content in the humidity) can play a major role in rusting and could change strategy.

I use a "Rag in a Can" an old rag stuffed in a tuna fish can saturated with oil. I use mineral oil but any thin oil will work. Just a quick wipe on the tools and you get a very thin layer of oil to protect them. It's main purpose is to lube the sole of handplanes while planing but is also good for many other tasks like lubing the burnisher for scrapers.

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

I have the same...I made an oil pot (like Brian) and all metal tools get a quick wipe after use.

Right now, I am more concerned about all them spider webs in the shop.....every day I go to the shop...more webs. need a way to get them to leave.....Starting to look like Hermann Muenster lived here...

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Right now, I am more concerned about all them spider webs in the shop.....every day I go to the shop...more webs. need a way to get them to leave.....Starting to look like Hermann Muenster lived here...
    Shop helpers, put them to work
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

I keep my dehumidifier going all summer...No problem.
    Jerry

It's actually less about the humidity and more about the dew point. I live in Seattle where the humidity is actually pretty high but we don't fluctuate past the dew point frequently so it doesn't really feel moist. I cured the rust problem with a dehumidifier like Brandon. Started it at 35% but noticed a lot of run time and a blip in the electricity bill. I have now titrated it up to 45% without any rust problems. I have no idea of how high I might go and am sufficiently rust aversive that I probably won't do much more experimentation.

Engine oil........ But it can affect finish if not removed properly. Usually I use johnson wax and it works well.

+1 Mineral oil wipe down for most tools (and when I think of it...). I also put a couple of pieces of kids' sidewalk chalk (the big thick ones) at either end of my tool chest(s) and change them out every few months (four...ish). I was suspect at first about the chalk but it really does seem to be working. My garage shop is dry (and cold!) in the winter but humid as hades in the summertime. Haven't had any major problems.

-jake
    Please Pick One of the Following:

Built Correctly & Within Budget / Within Budget & Done Quickly / Done Quickly & Built Correctly

Quote Originally Posted by john zulu View Post
    Engine oil........ But it can affect finish if not removed properly.
    That's why I'd prefer a method other than oil; I found that keeping tools inside a cabinet or drawer worked for me, but someone here suggested that keeping the air moving, as with a ceiling fan, can keep moisture from settling on tools or machinery.

I keep a small tin of kerosene in my saw chest and a "rag-in-a-can" soaked with kerosene in my tool chest. I don't remember where I found the tip but it works pretty well.

Rust, rust? What is this "rust" of which you speak?

Easiest cure is move to the desert. I wouldn't have a quarter of the tools I have if I had to chase rust.

ken