Thread: Delta UniFence Upgrade

Delta UniFence Upgrade

People either love or hate a Delta Unifence. It has many features that no other fence has and can be set up for many different cutting options. I like the ability to slide the fence back off the leading edge of the saw table to better align a long board when ripping. One thing I did not like was the fact that almost all the weight was cantilevered and carried on a nylon foot in the middle of the fence and that when you adjusted the fence position, it was dragged across the table surface. When I moved the fence to my new-to-me PM72 from the PM66, I gave this some thought and came up with the following solution, simple but it works like a charm. The rollers are #608 bearings used in skateboard wheels. The aluminum is ¼" and the fasteners are all 5/16"x18. The stud that the bearings are mounted on are threaded into the aluminum and super glued in place. There is a small spacer washer between the bearing and the mounting plate for clearance.

This upgrade makes the movement of the fence extremely smoooooth!
    CPeter

IMG_0647 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0648 (Medium).JPG

IMG_0646 (Medium).JPG

I remember a recent(?) thread I read somewhere, perhaps here at SMC, where someone else came up with pretty much the same solution.

Looks good!

i love my unifences! May have to make a similar improvement!

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Probably mine on OWWM.
    CPeter

The fence on my Minimax S315WS slider has the roller setup integral. Your mod is a nice improvement on what is otherwise about the best fence every provided for a North American design saw...IMHO, which I know some folks don't share.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree with you Jim.That is a great idea. I have a 1' long fence piece that came with a saw that I bought. It was a factory piece. When I used a crosscut box on my saw I used it all the time.Now with a slider in the shop not so much. This upgrade is the final piece to perfect an already great fence. Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by CPeter James View Post
    Probably mine on OWWM.
    CPeter
    Yes, it was your threads at OWWM that I remembered. Enjoyed reading the evolution of your design. Hope they combine the three threads you posted. Great reference for unifence owners!

Like Jim, I think the Unifence an excellent design. At some point I may copy your modification. Right now the bump over the miter slot is not a biggie for me. But after 20+ years of using the Unifence I probably am just used to it!
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!