Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Acoustic guitar - Build #2

Acoustic guitar - Build #2

I've talked about this several times and I'm finally back to building #2! When I built my first guitar I didn't have the CNC, actually built the CNC while I was finishing that guitar so the only job I did on the CNC for that guitar was a little bit of the bridge. I began build #2 while I was building #1 but got so busy with high-end custom woodworking for other folks that I set #2 aside; I didn't realize it was going to be for 5+ years.

Now that I have the CNC I would like to use it for a few more tasks in the building of #2 so the first thing I did was to take photos of the body rim and draw that as closely as possible in my CAD program. The short video below is using a Sharpie to draw that outline so I could see how close my digital drawing came to the hand shaped rims - pretty close as it turns out.

The body is Honduras Mahogany, the lining is Maple with a little Curly Maple thrown in for aesthetics, the top will be Sitka Spruce, and the neck will be glued up African/Honduras Mahogany with a Maple stripe (that could change). The body shape is my design but is very close to my Takamine Grand Auditorium (probably close to Martin's GA or OM, as well).

I'll post updates to the build here in this thread so follow along and ask questions, offer comments, and I'll do my best to get this guitar finished soon so I can get started on more guitars.
    001 - Build #2 - rim in form.jpg
    002 - Build #2 - rim in form, close up.jpg
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

This will be fun!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Yes, it will, Jim! Thanks for checking it out.

Rosette inlay test on Honduras Mahogany. This is sort of a twisted vine that I drew and decided to use on the guitar but I wanted to test it first. The Mahogany was already cut and the proper thickness for a guitar top (sort of, it is 0.080" thick). The inlay pieces are Maple and Redheart. There's a short video below showing the steps I used to make the inlay.
    009 - Rosette test, close up.jpg
    David

That rosette is perfect!!
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That rosette is perfect!!
    Thanks, Jim! We'll see how it looks on the guitar soon, or at least on the top before the guitar is completed.
    David

Interesting project , but I think I still prefer the standard Spanish type. The Spanish stuff has lots of variations…but they stay in the
    traditional lane, and are easier to make. If they catch on , I hope you get credit for for the “ new style”.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Interesting project , but I think I still prefer the standard Spanish type. The Spanish stuff has lots of variations…but they stay in the
    traditional lane, and are easier to make. If they catch on , I hope you get credit for for the “ new style”.
    Got any photos of the Spanish type?
    David

I think tradition is great if one is shooting for that, but there's a lot of room for being creative in personal projects like this. In my own builds...which are electrics to-date...I might be using Fender geometry, but things like headstock design (4+2 for me similar to Music Man) and my penchant for rear control access are things that I evolved to quickly followed by some body shape evolution, too. If I get into something acoustic, which I hope to do someday, there will certainly be something that makes it my own. And that's what I appreciate about this "rosette" design you created, David. You could even echo it up on the headstock, too.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    If I get into something acoustic, which I hope to do someday, there will certainly be something that makes it my own. And that's what I appreciate about this "rosette" design you created, David. You could even echo it up on the headstock, too.
    Good points, Jim. This is the headstock from my first build -
    030 - Build #1, headstock.jpg
    David

Got started on the top today and decided on Curly Maple and Imbuya Burl for the rosette.
    001 - Rosette inlay.jpg
    David

I definitely like what you're doing. I hope to follow in you footsteps and be innovative one day. Fir now, I'm pretty much just a copy ��.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hutchings View Post
    I definitely like what you're doing. I hope to follow in you footsteps and be innovative one day. Fir now, I'm pretty much just a copy ��.
    Thanks, Richard! I'm not terrifically innovative, just had an idea that I carried out. The well may be dry at this point...

Rosette inlay completed but not yet glued or sanded flush -
    002 - Rosette inlay completed, not glued.jpg
    David

I appreciate that it is understated and tasteful, but when I look close and realize how intricate and complicated the work to do it was, I like it even more.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    I appreciate that it is understated and tasteful, but when I look close and realize how intricate and complicated the work to do it was, I like it even more.
    Thanks, Stan! Video coming soon on putting this together. My best guess is that it took about 4 hours to do the actual inlay. It's not perfect but it's probably close enough for this guitar.
    David

The rosette is completed and the top rough cut to shape (actual shape plus 3/16" all the way around). No finish yet but a little Naphtha on the rosette close-up. Not perfect but I'll take it.
    005 - Completed rosette, sanded but no finish.jpg
    006 - Completed rosette, top rough cut.jpg
    David