Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to repair small sections of rotten wood?

Blog Entries

How to repair small sections of rotten wood?

My porch has two boards with some small sections that show some rot. Does anyone know of any systems that could be used to repair this and can be stained to match the current color?
    Thanks
    Dennis

What kind of wood?

I will be following this thread as I found some rotted window trim outside. Much can be replaced but some I hope to save with wood hardener which I have never used.
    Bill D.

Why would you not post a photo?
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I would recommend Abatron products, although I've never tried staining it. It paints well. I used it on my last porch (75 year old Douglas fir) and all areas were still intact when I sold 10 years later.

Ideally, because it's a porch floor, you'd remove the material back to where it's supported and replace that section of the board(s) that are rotted. Use the same kind of material that the floor is built from so your staining has the best opportunity to "match". (new finish will always look different than weathered finish, however)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I've used MinWax wood hardener for quick repairs on window sills and it seems to work okay. I don't know if I would trust it for repairing a floor where someone could possibly step through the floor and get hurt. I have done what Jim suggested for repairing deck surfaces.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I've used MinWax wood hardener for quick repairs on window sills and it seems to work okay. I don't know if I would trust it for repairing a floor where someone could possibly step through the floor and get hurt. I have done what Jim suggested for repairing deck surfaces.
    It's actually outside the railing on the very edge of the deck so no one will step on it. I think I'll try the suggested Minwax wood hardener
    Thanks
    Dennis

I've had very good results with Rotfix from System Three; https://www.systemthree.com/products...x-epoxy-sealer

I asked this morning, even though it is listed on their site, Hoe Depot no longer carries wood hardener. they want you to rebuild with bondo and paint it to match. no treatment for the old wood to prevent further rot or insect damage just pry you got it all out and left no eggs behind. they also quit carrying hardie trim boards.

Blog Entries
    Lowes still carries the minwax product and HD carries a wood hardener by Varathane
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I use thickened West System epoxy for such repairs with good success. They feel that claims made by some manufacturers that certain epoxies will migrate into the pores of rotted wood is a bunch of hooey. Check out the West System website for a wealth of factual information.

Unsubscribed.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

This gives you lots of useful info for repairing exterior rot: http://www.jlconline.com/how-to/exte...6f74a9492b324e

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    If the stain is a solid body color, you can probably use an epoxy, one I've had good success with is Flex Tec-http://www.advancedrepair.com/architectural_epoxy_flex_tec_hv_info_instructions. html- (and I'd recommend it for a rotted window sill ,Bill D). It will keep a certain amount of flexibility and move a little with the seasons. They don't say so, but it can be painted over with a solid body stain (mostly).
    West System is good also but the Flex Tec is made specifically for repairs like rotted wood and a little easier to apply