Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

23 Jul 2018

Greetings Everyone,
    This past week I got some work done on my big project at the day job, taught a couple of people how to play guitar and how to chord on keyboard, I shutdown one of my two 55 gallon aquariums so that I now have a single nice setup inside the house in the greatroom for all to enjoy. The LOML and I worked in the yard, dehydrated some peppers out of the garden and we continue to eat our Mediterranean Diet and we both continue to loose weight. I got back to see the liver doc next month and I hope he's happy with my progress thus far. I started teaching my first Financial Peace University class this past week and it's awesome that we are ALL excited to get on this program and get out of debt and build wealth. I've been financially unwise most all of my adult life and it's past time to get my finances in order and eliminate debt. Funny the things we learn when we are older.

Well, that's it for me...so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

On the wood working front I hosted two machinery seminars at Felder in Toronto, one for the bandsaw and one for the jointer/planer.

Not woodworking related, however we had a family event at the horse races on Sunday, had a great time. My youngest daughter and I were pooling our money, she was winning, to keep it balanced I was losing. It seems I have a knack for picking horses who valiantly protect the rear of the herd .

regards, Rod.

Dennis, it sounds like you had a full-filling week! Rod, I bet those seminars were enjoyable, too.

My major accomplishment for the past week was 'technically' bringing the business live. Now it's not just fun and games, but also marketing. Sheesh... Otherwise, I did more cutting on the CNC to learn things; some positive and some, um...not...the latter being primarily "human error focused". Sunday, I decided to do something different and cut a panel for a cabinet door that included a 3D rooster and that went very well. I've been focusing so much on signs and whatnot, that I was ignoring the furniture side of things that can also be attacked by this great tool. This week will be more of the same plus working on some of the inquiries I got when folks got word I was ready to rock and roll.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, that rooster panel is awesome. Kind of takes the possibilities for cabinet fronts to a whole new level. The owner of the ranch/stables where my wife is keeping her horse recently asked me to make a wooden backing/mount for a laser cut sign that they had made for their 30-horse facility. It's surprising how challenging it can be do design something as simple as that, with or without a CNC.

We've been in our new place for just over a month now but I'm still not quite ready yet to unpack my shop gear. After clearing the garage of all pre-existing 2x4 shelves and cabinets, a makeshift work bench, and an oil furnace (supplied by a 110-gallon tank), I tore open one of the walls so I could have an electrician add outlets for my 220V gear. That work passed inspection on Thursday, so it's ready now for the insulation and sheetrock to be reinstalled, which I'll take care of this week, so I can hopefully get the rest of my lumber and half-completed bed project out of storage. At the same time, two tall trees (about 75-feet) were taken down in my backyard--one Western Hemlock that had a bad case of heart rot, and a Pacific Silver Fir that was dying from the top down. Both were potential threats to the house, and besides, the hemlock was in the way of my future shop so it had to go. Sadly, there looked to be a few good board feet in the silver fir but I don't currently have anywhere to keep it so it was donated for kindling. I spent the bulk of this weekend repainting the kitchen and adjoining family room, and will be redoing all of the finish work (moldings, casings, and door jambs) at some future point. Ah, the joys of home ownership.

Mike, I can't believe how quickly I can design and toolpath something like this, especially since the Vectric software has really good rendering capability. Positioning the model is the hardest part. But yea, some times a potential project requires a bit of thinking as you state!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

This last week was spent doing some 'final' touches to the landscaping. Still have to get some more mulch as there are some areas that are a bit thin.

Thursday we went to a local festival to see a band. A local band that had an orchestra backing them up. Lot of rock songs that a four piece group can't do, and the guy that did the arranging did a great job. If only the vocals were a bit better...

Saturday my fiance and I went to a local small airport for their Pioneer days presentation. Then she left for a 11 week contract job in Minneapolis. And I went out to the workshop to clean up a cabinet for my shop. Just a small cabinet with some leftover ash for band saw blades and other assorted items. That night I went back to the festival to see an REO Speedwagon cover band with some friends (while the cat's away, the mice will play).

Yesterday I did some work on my Jeep in preparation of a trip in two weeks. And today I am trying to figure out where all the bruises happened. One on my hand, knee, and toe.

I finally got done making the table for the frankensaw. I made it from 3/4 plywood and doubled it up on the side where the arm mounts. It seems plenty sturdy without the criss-cross brackets that're supposed to go from the leg to the underside of the table. Did not like them at all as they'd prevent me from putting anything under there or opening the cabinet.

IMG_20180721_105645667.jpg

Fixed my La-Z-Boy. Things are crowded under there.... details here.

https://www.facebook.com/john.sanfor...39268722903489
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Finally finished the two toolboxes for under my workbench... Pretty simple birch ply boxes with maple trim and cherry drawer fronts. Already filled them with chisels, squares, and handplanes...

Will try to take some pictures tonight and post here... otherwise, you guys will give me grief.

Mike

Great work Bob.

Did you make the Sawstop decal for the Excalibur guard? Looks very professional.............Rod.

Rod, that appears to be the newer model of the SawStop guard.

Yeah, sawstop sells 'em now. I think they just bought the design or the company or something, but I really have no idea. It seems to work pretty well but I really need to hook up a bigger dust collector to it to know for sure. So many things to do and so little time.

I was disappointed to realize how annoying (and, IMO, poorly designed) the bracket is. The arm and guard are removable but there's a pin that sticks up more than 3/4" over the table height, preventing you from doing long crosscuts if you have a short table. So I built up the table a bit more, moved the bracket down 1/2," and ground the pin down a little. It doesn't need to be nearly that long.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The guard shure looks better yellow than black.