Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Morris Chair

The cushions I made from cutting up a foam mattress off CL.

Some funky fabric (cows... my grandmothers family owned the county dairy and she grew up milking 50 cows by hand multiple times a day).

I still have a fair bit of wood left (a pile of rough cut I bought off CL a few years ago). Prolly need a foot stool. Maybe a couch.

Overall, I kinda like it.

Attached Images Attached Images

It looks great, Carl. It looks so homey and familiar.

Nice job, love the color of the wood. Makes me want to make a few, its been many years since i made some.

beautiful chair. the fuming came out great. all that's left to do is park your butt there with a good book and read till the cows come home. (sorry, couldn't resist)
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    beautiful chair. the fuming came out great. all that's left to do is park your butt there with a good book and read till the cows come home. (sorry, couldn't resist)
    Yes. Here is the problem: my 10yr old and 12 year old daughters have claimed it. They like that they can get all the way up in it like a small couch.

And ya... they call it the 'Cowwwtch'

It is a hit. Now need to make one for myself...

Go ahead and make another one. Then your daughters will each have one and you'll be in the shop wondering what just happened! And 50 years from now, they'll say my Dad made this for me, and be the proudest person on the planet. Well done, Pops.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Really nice, Carl. Well done. Fits into the surroundings perfectly. When it comes to daughters, Dad’s just can’t say no. Might as well just start on the next one now

Ya, I am going to lay out pieces for the next one this weekend. This one is 'taken'...

lol. Its great, and is exactly why I enjoy this hobby.
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. I just stumbled across this thread and since a Morris chair is on my bucket list I might as well as the question.

Why bend the arm of the chair? It's such a shallow bend I would figure thicker stock and a bandsaw would save a ton of time and aggravation (especially for those of us who have never bent wood).

I know you'd sorta get some end grain buy I'm sure that can be dealt with.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Costa View Post
    I just stumbled across this thread and since a Morris chair is on my bucket list I might as well as the question.

Why bend the arm of the chair? It's such a shallow bend I would figure thicker stock and a bandsaw would save a ton of time and aggravation (especially for those of us who have never bent wood).

I know you'd sorta get some end grain buy I'm sure that can be dealt with.
    You will get a lot of good insights from others here, on pros/cons. If you are considering a morris chair do a search here (the great morris chair build... or something like this). Many members have built one and offer different designs and advice.

Some use straight/flat arms
    Some have a small flat straight section, then an angled (but flat)section going back from that
    Some bend

Probably someone has done it with a bandsaw, but these arms are 5" wide (a little more) and from front to back the amount of bend is more than 3.5" on mine. So to just carve that curve out would be stock that is 5" wide and a good 4.5" thick. Massive piece, and a lot of waste.

I simply made a form and resaw thinner material and reglue. Steaming is probably easy as well (everything is easy when you know how, but I have never steamed). I find making laminations pretty easy and am satisfied with the outcome. I decided up front I wanted the curve, due to design ascetics and feel to it when sitting in it. Was just a choice.
    Last edited by Carl Beckett; 11-13-2018 at 7:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    the great morris chair build... or something like this)
    It's called The Great Morris Chair Project and it's in a sticky thread.