Thread: Minimal desk and drawers

Minimal desk and drawers

I built myself a little office area from Sen veneer and Baltic Birch I had left over from other projects. Now that I see the picture, I realize that I should really organize the power cords better! I'd love to build a Poul Cadovious knockoff for this room too, but I'm not sure if I can pull it off :P

I used castors (not bad) and drawer slides (not great) from Home Depot, and sourced the hairpin legs and Blum overhead hinges online. The tabletop is 1.5" thick and the legs have three bars each, making them very solid. Everything is finished with Bartley gel poly. Thanks for looking!

IMG_6502.jpg

Very nice!

For organizing the cables, I like things generally call bridal rings. You can screw them up into the underside of the desktop. The hook part is open, so you can drop cables into the ring easily, and without needing to thread the entire cable through the ring. For example https://www.amazon.com/Inch-Bridle-R.../dp/B00IE7NDUK

That has a beautiful, contemporary look to it! Very nice work and great design choices.

And yea, wires are always the bane of furniture like this no matter what.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks guys! Great idea on the bridal rings hardware. I've never heard of those before, but it looks like the perfect solution.

Great looking work area. Crisp and elegant design!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Nice job, particularly the veneer layout on the drawers. Which Blum hinges did you use?

Blog Entries
    Very nice desk. Wires are always a concern. For the desk I just completed, I made a J shaped trough that I attached to the back underside of the desk top with pocket hole screws To hold the wires up out of site.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks for the comments, all. I've been too busy with another project to deal with the wires, but I'll get to them someday :P

The over head hinges are Blum Aventos HK-S.