Thread: Shop made copper inlay

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.

Shop made copper inlay

I'm about to embark on a complicated and large-scale decorative fill project, and I'm wondering if it makes sense to grind up some copper pipe I have here in my scrap metal bin. I have a 12-iinch sanding disk that mounts on my lathe, and I can create a cardboard bib to catch the particles. Has anyone else done this? Will I really save money?

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Yes I have done it. 2 things. first is the copper conducts heat to your hand at the speed of light. Don't ask how I know this. Use gloves, maybe 2 pair. second. use a course grit and probably wear a mask because not all of the dust goes down into your need little catch apparatus. What I did was make a sort of paper funnel that was large enough to fit under the disc. and had a front lip that came up in front of the disc. This allowed me to capture most of the copper dust. Next time I might try using my horizontal bandsaw in the vertical position. It makes a little bit bigger dust particles but you would have to clean them because lube from the blade gets on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Neyman View Post
    I'm about to embark on a complicated and large-scale decorative fill project, and I'm wondering if it makes sense to grind up some copper pipe I have here in my scrap metal bin. I have a 12-iinch sanding disk that mounts on my lathe, and I can create a cardboard bib to catch the particles. Has anyone else done this? Will I really save money?
    It might depend on the look you are after. I tried making brass dust and the pieces were too coarse for me. Maybe a sanding drum/disk would be better. I just bought a supply of metal powders made for this which was more uniform and smaller particles. I don't remember it costing so much as to encourage me to make my own. (I bought copper powder too but I like the look of brass better.)

Whatever powder you use I recommend doing plenty of tests first to learn how to apply the powder and the glue effectively to avoid voids, how to best smooth and polish, and see if you like the look.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    It might depend on the look you are after. I tried making brass dust and the pieces were too coarse for me. Maybe a sanding drum/disk would be better. I just bought a supply of metal powders made for this which was more uniform and smaller particles. I don't remember it costing so much as to encourage me to make my own. (I bought copper powder too but I like the look of brass better.)

Whatever powder you use I recommend doing plenty of tests first to learn how to apply the powder and the glue effectively to avoid voids, how to best smooth and polish, and see if you like the look.

JKJ
    followed the same path as John. You really need a fine powder and the brass i tried was too coarse. I have mixed brass drill shavings with resin for small boxes.

IMG_6944.jpg
    I
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I will second this i bought from metalpowderusa through there ebay store. 1# of copper was $13.50 and is enough to last me a long time.

I agree with some of the others on metalpowderusa. Really not a bad price and very good quality with copper and bronze I purchased.
    I tried key grindings for brass at one time but like others they are very course. On a tip from someone (maybe on here years ago) I placed in a coffee bean grinder and the stainless steel blades ground them well. Still not worth the time and effort and I would buy the brass from now on.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Agreed. The hardware store key filings are a mixture of brass, aluminum, and steel and don't really have the appearance I'm looking for.

If you decide to grind your own, make sure you have a good mask. Copper powder is really nasty if inhaled.