Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lie-Nielsen Plane Choice

Blog Entries
    I always wanted a 4 1/2.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hollis View Post
    Hello,

I currently own a Record #4-1/2 and #7 plane, and would like to buy one Lie-Nielsen bench plane (a lifetime purchase). With the exchange rate, etc. they are not inexpensive here in Canada, so I would appreciate your guidance on which plane would be a good choice.

I do general work,mostly in solid hardwoods and cabinet grade plywood. I fitted my Record #4-1/2 with a Lee Valley plane iron, and it works much better. The sole is not flat, but it is not that far off.

I am leaning towards a smaller #3, as I think the Record probably works OK (for me) and a different size plane would give me more flexibility in use.

Those of you that have a broader selection of bench planes than me (many of you I suspect), could you possibly offer your suggestions?
    That's like asking which gear of your car you would go with, if you could have only one gear. In that case I would suggest first gear, which is a #5. But there are so many old #5's around.

You suggested the #3. The truth of it is, every old barn that is still standing has a #3 buried in it somewhere, you just have to look hard enough.

Others have suggested a block plane, but they are common as dirt, you probably already have several and don't even remember.

Some people would suggest the L-N #62 (low angle jack.) I have one, and I don't use it that much as a smoothing plane, but it's good on end grain (momentum.)

So, my suggestion is none of the L-N's, and just buy more old Stanleys (three of those for the price of one L-N, even from a concierge tool merchant.)

I would think a shoulder plane, spokeshave, router plane, or block plane would be a good choice that adds to what you have. It sounds like you are looking half for function and half for jewelry, so choose what you think looks best, and learn how to use it. All of L-N's jewelry is useful, but it looks best in bronze.

As someone who owns the LN router plane I would go veritas for that one. Nothing against the LN, and I bought mine because I thought I needed a specific cutter width for a specific project that Veritas did not stock. In retrospect I should have just got the veritas and would have been fine with a slightly narrower cutter (but dont regret it enough to make a change).

I cant comment on shoulder planes as I have never used one.

If I were buying LN right now I could see it being either a smoother (with the assumption) that it would be more precisely tuned than my restore, or a jointer (with the assumption that it would be flatter than my restore). My gut would tell me a smoother would overall be the better value (for me) and I would probably go 3 or 4.

I would really think about it like this though, what will be your most used plane overall in your shop? Get the LN version of that plane if you only plan to get one LN.

I think your instincts are right, Joe. I would go with the #3 plane. This is a plane that would take advantage of the strengths of a Lie Nielsen plane: double iron, bevel down plane with high precision.

A jack plane is used for rough work, so it does not need the precision. Also a jack plane is used for more extended periods so a light plane is helpful. I recommend a double iron wooden jack rather than the very heavy Lie Nielsen.

Blog Entries
    Since you mention a #3 I'll add what I do to the mix here. I look at tools that will serve multiple needs when I'm "shopping". I have the Veritas LA block plane and it was my only block for some time. With the addition of the Veritas Apron Plane as a gift at some point, I added the ball-tail and knob set to the LA block plane and it gets used like a #3. I also have the add-on tote but, find the ball-tail more usable in the small plane format; YMMV. The LA block and optional grips would give you the block and a #3 function in one purchase. Food for thought.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

7. Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    My #3 Bailey is one of my most used planes.
    I have a Record #3 made in 1956 (when they still made good planes) that I picked up on ebay for 45 pounds. I purchased a Veritas PM-V11 blade for it and it's a wonderful tool. It sees use on every project because it's so light and nimble.

Thanks for all your responses. I will go with the #3, as I think this is a good size for the work I do. I see that Lee Valley does not offer a plane in that size at this time anyway.

Regards,

Joe H.

Thanks for all your responses. I will go with the #3, as I think this is a good size for the work I do. I see that Lee Valley does not offer a plane in that size at this time anyway.

Regards,

Joe H.
    Lee Valley has this : http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...at=41182,52515

You'll be pleased with your choice.

I have many Lee Valley tools. But the Lie Nielsen planes are generally a cut above.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

A bevel-down smoother in your most-used size is probably the leading candidate to buy as a premium plane.
    Even with your 4-1/2, a #4 might still have value.
    Only you would know if the #3 will be a workhorse size. (I got a vintage #3 and tuned it up, but find I still almost always use my #4)

A jointer would be next choice for a precision plane, but I'm actually pretty happy with my stanley #7. I think the LN's may be a bit heavier, which would give me some pause. Having a good chip breaker available for this is nice. If I was struggling with this, it would be a good candidate. (I haven't mic'd it out, but it produces a flat result.)

The premium block planes are nice, but their work is more incidental for me -- chamfering an edge or flushing something up in a tight area.

The premiums are good for some joinery planes -- if you do shiplap or tongue&groove backs, the LN No48/49 planes are about as nice as it gets... These would be an excellent choice, but if and only if your furniture needs them.

Which brings me to... shooting planes! If you do handwork, this is a very useful task. The LN is very expensive; the LV a bit less so (and has a skewed blade), and the respective low-angle jacks are more approachable yet. If your work is small-scale, you might even like the LV miter plane.

When you get your plane, please do post some followup with how it works out.

Matt
    Last edited by Matthew Hills; 07-25-2018 at 8:53 AM.

Regards,

Joe H.
    Hi Joe

The LN #3 is one of my favourite smoothers. Mine has the 45 degree frog. I would not be tempted to go higher (there are 50- and 55 degree frogs), but learn to use the chipbreaker for interlocked grain. On my local woods, the higher frogs were not high enough to prevent tearout, and they made the plane feel heavy and cumbersome. The great thing about a #3 is that it is a nimble worker. This is my favourite size.

My plane has a couple of modifications. Firstly, I have a #4 handle replacing the #3 handle as I found the original a little small. I also managed to acquire LN cocobolo handle and knob, which are now unobtainable.The #4 handle needs a little tweaking to fit (as you will see below). Let me know if you go down this route and I will send you the information. The combination is wonderful.

The other modification is the Veritas PM-V11 blade. The LN A2 steel is very good. There is no "need" for a change, however I prefer the O1-like sharpening of the PM-V11.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Post Facto Two Cents Worth, for the benefit of others facing such questions:

Given that you are looking at SUPPLMENTING/EXPANDING your plane squadron and functionality, not upgrade/replace, and given that you are considering this to be a "lifetime"/ bucket list type of tool, not a "maximize dollars to function", my suggestions would be:

LN 60 1/2
    LN#3

Coincidentally, those to two of the three LN planes I have. For joinery planes, I look to Veritas. Their shoulder planes may not be as elegant looking, but I like their ergos more. Also, the wee little LN102 is very highly regarded hereabouts, but I can't speak to it's value personally.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Without a doubt the #3 is my favorite, I am so bothered that I never got a 5 1/4 when LN made them. I have been trying for a long time. I just love the #3. Derek I love that tote and knob, maybe I will try and make one someday as I can't get them anymore. Thank you