Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lie-Nielsen Plane Choice

Lie-Nielsen Plane Choice

Hello,

I currently own a Record #4-1/2 and #7 plane, and would like to buy one Lie-Nielsen bench plane (a lifetime purchase). With the exchange rate, etc. they are not inexpensive here in Canada, so I would appreciate your guidance on which plane would be a good choice.

I do general work,mostly in solid hardwoods and cabinet grade plywood. I fitted my Record #4-1/2 with a Lee Valley plane iron, and it works much better. The sole is not flat, but it is not that far off.

I am leaning towards a smaller #3, as I think the Record probably works OK (for me) and a different size plane would give me more flexibility in use.

Those of you that have a broader selection of bench planes than me (many of you I suspect), could you possibly offer your suggestions?

Thanks,

Joe H.

One of my most important planes is a low angle block plane with adjustable throat. Next is a shoulder plane.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I would say the missing item is a jack/fore plane. I would not spend LN money on one of those though.

Joe, I don’t use my #3 very often, but if you plan to work with smaller components, it’s a nice option. It would also be easier to work given the 1 3/4” wide iron vs the 2 3/8” iron in your 4 1/2. I’ve seen many state their preference for the #3 over a #4 due primarily for the lighter weight and narrower iron.

If, however, there is only one new to you plane in the near future, I tend to agree with Andy and would suggest a good block plane. The one caveat is that block planes are much easier to source on the vintage market, or garage and flea markets for that matter, than would be a #3.

The good news on purchasing a quality tool from either Lie Nielsen or Veritas is that if it ends up not being used that much you can easily resell for near new price.
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 07-22-2018 at 10:09 PM.

I agree with Andy. I’ve got about a dozen LN planes, a few Stanleys and a couple of LVs, but the one I seem to use on every project is my LN 60 1/2 adjustable mouth low angle block plane. Your 4 1/2 is long and heavy enough to use as a Jack in a pinch if you set it up for a heavy cut, but if you opt for a Jack consider the LN 62, a very versatile plane.

Blog Entries
    My #3s are used often. My #4-1/2 not as often as my other smoothing planes.

A Stanley #5 should be an easy find and will save money over an LN version. A smoother is more critical in the flat bottom area than is a jack plane.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I use my low angle jack for many things. In fact if u are not married to LN, consider the Veritas. Every bit as good quality. Possibly cheaper for you given the exchange rate.

Others I might consider are a block, router, or shoulder plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I use my low angle jack for many things. In fact if u are not married to LN, consider the Veritas. Every bit as good quality. Possibly cheaper for you given the exchange rate.

Others I might consider are a block, router, or shoulder plane.
    THIS ^. I'm patiently waiting for a back order on the Veritas LA Jack plane myself. I've got 2 extra blades all prepped & ready to go.
    I can empathize with the exchange rate issue now for us as well. The downtown L.V. in Toronto is a regular hang for me & I play with the display planes quite a bit & can assure you that you wouldn't be disappointed in the Veritas lineup. On the subject their of LA block; I even have an extra 25 degree PM-V11 blade for mine that I put an "easy" 33 camber on / 45degree cut, (& rounded the corners). It's a GREAT investment for me that covers many tasks since investing in that extra blade. BUT .... I still want that big one!
    All the best.
    B.

The low angle jack is useful in several aspects of stock preparation. Honing the blade at different angles (or having multiple blades) allows you to adapt the tool to the particular stock you're working on.

The #3 is a good size for a smoother. It seemed counter- intuitive to me at first, but a smaller smoothing plane can get many jobs done faster than the larger planes.

As for a suggestion, just think about your current workflow and where either of those (or another choice) would fit in.

Blog Entries
    Lots of opinions. For me, the only time to buy a premium plane is a smoother where a #4 is hard to beat over the long term. The other is a jointer in order to assure the flatness necessary for that task. As others have said, a #5 doesn't have to be premium and only the OP can determine if a block plane would be used enough to justify the expense. For me, that answer is no, but we all do things differently.

My original thought (if the poster wants a LN plane) was that, to me, the #4 is sort of the LN poster child (so-to-speak) and would get my vote. Given that the OP currently uses a #4-1/2 for finishing, I still hold for a #4 or a #3 as others have suggested so that the OP has something with a narrower blade for use. To me, in this case, LA, block, shoulder, router, etc planes are add-ons after the fact. Just my opinion.
    David

It sounds like you're missing a jack plane. I wouldn't spend Lie Nielsen money on a bevel down jack plane, as it is meant to do rough work, and you can find a perfectly adequate Stanley No. 5 for much cheaper. I do love my No. 62 Jack from Lie Nielsen, and would be an excellent plane to add with a few extra blades. That said, if I was to get one single plane from Lie Nielsen, it would be the bronze No. 4 - its just the quintessential Lie Nielsen Plane.

That said, as a Canadian I feel I must point out that Veritas tools are every bit as good (and in some ways better as some thought is given into innovating the design to work better), and can be had for less in Canada. Most of my tools are veritas - I purchased some Lie Nielsen planes from the showroom when I visited. While there is no difference in quality, it comes down to a matter of aesthetics and price.

I've not found the LA jack to be that more useful that I would suggest it as a 1° plane purchase.

Actually, I find myself reaching for the #6 probably as much as the smoother. For me, its a smoother, a face flattener, and a jointer for boards <24".

So I would go for something in the middle like a 5 or 6. With an additional cambered iron, they both also do well at prepping stock.

You could also consider adding one or more high angle frogs.

Their scraping plane is going to be on my tool shelf one day ;-)

The number 4 would have gotten my vote, except with limited planes and having a 4 1/2 already I think the 3 is a solid choice. I could see the argument for a block plane as well, although I just dont use one as often as most people seem to.

Blog Entries
    My #3 Bailey is one of my most used planes.
    I also have a complete set of Bedrocks and yes this is a gloat.