Thread: Dressing up the bottom of an over the fridge cabinet

Dressing up the bottom of an over the fridge cabinet

The last kitchen job I did had an over fridge cab set 72" off the floor. The new refrigerator was only 68.5" tall which allowed a clear view of the cab bottom (pre-finished maple veneer ply sides and bottom; knotty alder exterior). I didn't like the fact that the plywood edges of the sides were exposed, nor the contrast of the maple vs alder exterior. I'm doing another kitchen and this time would like to dress up the bottom of the fridge cab to match the exterior species (alder again). I thought the easiest way would be to cut the sides 3/8" shy of the face frame bottom and simply overlay a 1/4" alder veneer skin in the recess, glued and pinned to the bottoms of the cab edges and butted to the 3/8" inside face frame lip. Has anyone done it this way? What other methods should I consider?

Cutaway of cab showing 1/4" skin on the bottom
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by scott vroom; 07-22-2018 at 2:38 PM.
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

A nice "show" panel like you propose seems like a good solution.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    A nice "show" panel like you propose seems like a good solution.
    Thanks Jim.

Here's a pic from a guy who adds a filler piece with cutout for the hinge:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    Thanks Jim.

Here's a pic from a guy who adds a filler piece with cutout for the hinge:
    Just make sure you follow the installation specifications of the refrigerators. Many refrigerators need certain amount of clearance.
    Usually an inch of clearance space between cabinet and fridge. Sometimes the sides, too.

Yea, that filler looks good. Relative to Bill's comments, if there's a need for airflow, that could be accommodated by a similar filler that's made of perforated metal painted appropriately. It blocks the view while allowing air to pass. So many ways.... This method is also easily reversible should the appliance get changed out for something with a different height.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...