Thread: Cordless Drill Chuck

Cordless Drill Chuck

I have a Dewalt cordless drill with a chuck that no longer functions properly; the chuck will not tighten the drill bit. The drill is about 15 years old. My question is, is there a way to repair the chuck, or has the drill exceeded it's useful life. Thanks.

I replaced the keyless chuck on my corded DeWalt drill after it seized up and wouldn't tighten, so I assume it would be possible to replace the chuck on your cordless drill. I found the parts list for my drill online and ordered a replacement chuck and screw from a local distributor. The screw on my drill is a left-hand thread, and I had to make a slotted "wrench" from a piece of 2mm sheet steel to hold the arbor while I loosened the Torx screw with a good whack with a hammer. No matter how many times I tried to loosen the screw with the hammer whacking, there wasn't enough drag on the arbor to resist the impact.

Here's one video on removing the chuck from two cordless DeWalt drills:

A impact wrench and a piece of hex bar should remove the chuck. I have jammed screwdriver in the fan of a dead drill to keep the chuck. It did not seem to damage the fan but who knows.
    Bill D.

Thanks for the replies. I can now check the price of a chuck, or just "chuck" it.

Ed

What model DeWalt do you have?
    I have 3, or 4 of their old 12vdc models that are in a box now, only because the batteries were so expensive to replace.
    I can't bring myself to throw them away, because at the time they were fairly $$$$, and I always tell myself I'll rebuild the batteries. I won't.
    If that's the model (s) you have, they're yours for postage. They all worked last time I used them.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Mike:
    Thank you for the offer. I'll get back to you after I return to the work site where the drill is at.

Ed

Mike:
    My unit is model # DC 759 and is an 18v unit. I don't know if your chucks will fit on my unit.

Ed