Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: What drillpress should I look to buy

My quill stop is not Acme but a standard 1/2-20. That's what came on the machine (Clausing 1688) and is threaded into the set-ring with (according to the manual) a 3/8-24 hex nut. I bought an after market Morton standard quill stops in the 1/2-20 thread size for about $45 from Amazon. It appeared to be the similar in size and function as on the PM2800B. Which models had the Acme 1/2-10 versus a 1/2-20 I don't know. Definitely worth being aware of the difference when buying.

For some reason, I find a heavy drill press to be nerve-wracking to move around the shop. The Clausing 20" start at 600# and the 15" 300#. The Reeves drive 20" Clausings came both single-phase and 3-phase. Note that they had a wide range of speeds and typically tapers. Models 2286/7 were 1/2chuck key, 150-2000 rpm, 2285 was 200-1300rpm and the 2281..4 were 300-2000rpm. Obviously if considering a VFD, then a 3-phase would be the way to go. Phillip describes that nicely. The single-phase 15" is very convenient for my purposes.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Adamsen View Post

For some reason, I find a heavy drill press to be nerve-wracking to move around the shop. The Clausing 20" start at 600# and the 15" 300#. The Reeves drive 20" Clausings came both single-phase and 3-phase. Note that they had a wide range of speeds and typically tapers. Models 2286/7 were 1/2chuck key, 150-2000 rpm, 2285 was 200-1300rpm and the 2281..4 were 300-2000rpm. Obviously if considering a VFD, then a 3-phase would be the way to go. Phillip describes that nicely. The single-phase 15" is very convenient for my purposes.
    Both the step pulley and Reeves drive 15" and 20" Clausings could be had with either a single or three phase motor, and some of the 20"ers were available with two-speed consequent pole 3 phase motors.

The 15" Clausings are MT2, the 20"ers are MT3. The factory brochure listed a 1/2" chuck on an MT2 arbor as an option for the 15"ers and a 3/4" chuck on an MT3 arbor for the 20"ers. A 3/8" Jacobs 11N is on my machine about 98% of the time. It's smaller than what originally came on the machine but works fine with a MT3-JT2 arbor. I also have a 16N but it cannot grip bits smaller than 1/8" so it is not on the press as often.

I did mis-speak above, Clausing did not sell presses with 8 pole single speed motors, they used 4 and 6 pole motors. You could get one with a two-speed consequent-pole 3 phase motor which is what mine has, or buy one without a motor and put whatever motor you wanted that would fit.

If you take the time to build a mobile base, very easy to move.

Just keep the CG low as possible, and put the casters clearly outboard of the load.. especially if all are swivel... which is what I prefer.

Keep that footprint as large as possible, and consider not impeding your natural foot movement as you use the machine.

For all in shop use mobile bases, I always use all swivel casters... NO fixed.

The ONLY advantage of fixed casters is if an item is moved in straight directions majority of time... like a cart going down a longg hallway that rarely needs to turn.

Just keep in mind that the swivel casters change your support under your CG depending on direction they are turned, especially the larger the wheels.

Marc
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 07-29-2018 at 7:08 PM.
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

Figure out a good spot for it and put it there.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Jeske View Post
    If you take the time to build a mobile base, very easy to move.

Just keep the CG low as possible, and put the casters clearly outboard of the load.. especially if all are swivel... which is what I prefer.

Keep that footprint as large as possible, and consider not impeding your natural foot movement as you use the machine.

The ONLY advantage of fixed casters is if an item is moved in straight directions majority of time... like a cart going down a longg hallway that rarely needs to turn.

Just keep in mind that the swivel casters change your support under your CG depending on direction they are turned, especially the larger the wheels.

Marc
    Drill presses are top heavy and naturally tippy. Mobile bases are precarious with top heavy, tippy objects. I would NOT recommend a mobile base on a drill press, especially since it's a piece of equipment that is typically put in a corner and used in that corner as you do not have long infeed or ourfeed areas needed to use it. Andy is right, pick a spot and leave it there.

I put four swivel casters underneath my Norm Abram router table. That was the first and last piece of equipment I will do that for. I do not recommend four swivel casters underneath anything as invariably one or more will encounter an imperfection in the floor, swivel tangential or perpendicular to the direction of motion, and bind up the whole works. Everything else has two fixed and two swivel casters and is MUCH easier to move. Well, except my shaper, which is 2200 pounds and due to its sheer weight even with only two swivel casters is difficult to steer unless there is a wide berth to jockey it back and forth to align both swivel casters in the same direction of intended travel. If I have issues, I just pick up the maybe 75 pound router table, I can't do that with the shaper.

The above post explains why I said to clearly put casters outboard of the CG.

I have both the old Delta drill press, and a true 5 hp 60 gal vertical compressor on home built mobile stands.

Basically both almost impossible to knock over.

No way your'e gonna tip them, unless maybe you are drunk and angry at the world and try to wheel them across a loose crushed rock driveway.

I cannot ever see it happenning... all has to do w sufficient footprint to handle the CG.

If one has the in the box mindset of"the casters need to be directly under the tool base".. that's the problem.

Marc

Marc
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Gregory View Post
    Drill presses are top heavy and naturally tippy. Mobile bases are precarious with top heavy, tippy objects. I would NOT recommend a mobile base on a drill press, especially since it's a piece of equipment that is typically put in a corner and used in that corner as you do not have long infeed or ourfeed areas needed to use it. Andy is right, pick a spot and leave it there.

I put four swivel casters underneath my Norm Abram router table. That was the first and last piece of equipment I will do that for. I do not recommend four swivel casters underneath anything as invariably one or more will encounter an imperfection in the floor, swivel tangential or perpendicular to the direction of motion, and bind up the whole works. Everything else has two fixed and two swivel casters and is MUCH easier to move. Well, except my shaper, which is 2200 pounds and due to its sheer weight even with only two swivel casters is difficult to steer unless there is a wide berth to jockey it back and forth to align both swivel casters in the same direction of intended travel. If I have issues, I just pick up the maybe 75 pound router table, I can't do that with the shaper.
    In my experience as a furniture/cabinet maker, drill presses become next to useless without several feet of clearance on either side.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    In my experience as a furniture/cabinet maker, drill presses become next to useless without several feet of clearance on either side.
    This is the singular reason I have mine on a mobile base...I don't use the tool much, but when I do, I typically need to have space around it to do the work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Gregory View Post
    Both the step pulley and Reeves drive 15" and 20" Clausings could be had with either a single or three phase motor, and some of the 20"ers were available with two-speed consequent pole 3 phase motors.

The 15" Clausings are MT2, the 20"ers are MT3. The factory brochure listed a 1/2" chuck on an MT2 arbor as an option for the 15"ers and a 3/4" chuck on an MT3 arbor for the 20"ers. A 3/8" Jacobs 11N is on my machine about 98% of the time. It's smaller than what originally came on the machine but works fine with a MT3-JT2 arbor. I also have a 16N but it cannot grip bits smaller than 1/8" so it is not on the press as often.

I did mis-speak above, Clausing did not sell presses with 8 pole single speed motors, they used 4 and 6 pole motors. You could get one with a two-speed consequent-pole 3 phase motor which is what mine has, or buy one without a motor and put whatever motor you wanted that would fit.
    I have the 20" with the two speed motor driven by a VFD, Superchuck, and Reeves drive. Don't know what the best drill press is, but I really like this one. I do miss the power feed on my old Walker Turner and reverse for tapping, but I don't do much with steel any more and the Clausing is more versatile, takes up less room.

One is smart to be cautious moving a large press like the 20" Clausings, that is a lot of weight up top and at some point it will tip, and most of us could not catch it. Patience.......

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I have the 20" with the two speed motor driven by a VFD, Superchuck, and Reeves drive. Don't know what the best drill press is, but I really like this one. I do miss the power feed on my old Walker Turner and reverse for tapping, but I don't do much with steel any more and the Clausing is more versatile, takes up less room.
    You can get a power feed for a 20" Clausing. The 2215-1 is their current 240 volt power feed mechanism and is a fully programmable servo controlled power feed. I'm guessing it costs many thousands of dollars. You can reverse your current press using a VFD, most will allow for multi-wire momentary contact switches that can allow for instant reversing. My TECO L510, which is an entry level (for a decent maker) VFD, can do this so others likely can as well.

One is smart to be cautious moving a large press like the 20" Clausings, that is a lot of weight up top and at some point it will tip, and most of us could not catch it. Patience.......
    Lowering the head will lower the center of gravity a bunch and make it much less tippy. It's fairly easy to do this as long as there isn't rust on the column, the manual has the instructions. If you do not have a manual, Clausing will gladly e-mail you one as a PDF.

FYI - I just noticed that Technatool is offering a $200 rebate on the 58000 until 9/30.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Jeske View Post

Marc
    I couldn't disagree more. Anything on 4 swivel casters will have a mind of its own moving it unless it weighs next to nothing. Try moving a 1500+ lb. machine on 4 swivel casters and you'll definitely be getting an ab workout trying to force the machine to track in the direction that you want it to go.

Swivel casters, being less rigid than fixed, will not be as stable, so you'll most likely have more movement in the machine when using it (which can be dangerous for machines that require you to push wood through them). Better yet to avoid casters all together and use a base with machine levelers and move the machine with a pallet truck.

Swivel casters also move the support point towards the CG (in the bad direction) when moving the machine, so it will more prone to tipping with small footprint machines. Catch a little nut or a pebble under a rear swivel caster when pushing a heavy, small-footprint machine, and it could easily tip over.

If you decide that you do need to use casters, having two fixed casters on the rear and two swivels on the front will be better in all three of these of these conditions. For things that are wide but not deep (like a tool cabinet), I prefer to have the two fixed casters on one side and the two swivels on the other. It makes it less prone to tipping when moving it because you're pushing/pulling in the long direction.

KW--good post.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

And, I also disagree.

I have all swivel casters on all my mobile bases.. including a 500 lb saw, would never have it otherwise.

All swivel allows me to get it anywhere I want it.

The tipping issue is easily solved by putting the casters slightly outboard.

Will be building a welded base for a Delta/ Rockwell 12-14 w 52" table extension, so that will end up approx 1100 lbs w the base, already have the casters, all swivel.

Heavier machines than that, no experience.

I also have one of those nice gray Rubberrmaid carts LOVE IT >>>>EXCEPT for the constant fight w the straight casters.

Again, I say, if you are normally moving something in a basically straight line, like a gurney down a hospital loong hallway, then you want two straight ones.

Otherwise, moving in all directions un impeded in a somewhat tight shop, all swivel.

Works for me.

Marc

60 gal true 5 hp, 4 swivel casters, not gonna tip.

Marc

2 003.jpg