Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What drillpress should I look to buy

We might be in the same situation, hearing-wise. I can get by without hearing aids, but I know there's a lot that I miss, and I know it's on the high end.

Me, I'd lean towards the Nova, but gawd, it is an UGGGGGGLEEEE machine.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    Me, I'd lean towards the Nova, but gawd, it is an UGGGGGGLEEEE machine.
    I know exactly what you are saying. That said I love a lot of machines designs both new and old but I have never seen a drill press that struck me as attractive. The Voyager just looks to be missing something.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Just picked this up for under $400. Not exactly a gloat but a good price.
    Attached Images Attached Images

MD--that's a good find.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Now that right there is a perfect example of what I'm talkin about.

Marc
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Actually, a pretty good price on one that is that clean and VS, the only thing that is missing is a production table which for strictly wood needs a table built over it anyway.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Is a delta Rockwell 1942 model 17-600 a good choice? Says it’s only for woodworking meaning not right speed for metal I guess. Think it weighs around 400 lbs. wondering if it would be more accurate than my grizzly 17” model which was a poor purchase based on run out and build quality.
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 07-27-2018 at 11:34 AM.

Is it currently available ?

Price?

Photos ?

Mine is either that exact or very similar model, shown in early part of this thread...have drilled many 5/ 8 holes in 1/2 steel no problem.. nice continuous curls.

Always bring a dial gauge and anything else needed.. to check before buying... although MOST runout problems are reasonably solvable.

Marc
    Last edited by Marc Jeske; 07-26-2018 at 9:58 PM.
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Jeske View Post

Mine is either that exact or very similar model, have drilled many 5'8 holes in 1/2 steel no problem.. nice continuous curls.

Always bring a dial gauge and anything else needed.. to check before buying... although MOST runout problems are reasonably solvable.

Marc

Marc
    Probably but I haven’t contacted seller. Just saw it listed. Same person I bought my restored PM66 from a year or two ago. Assuming it’s restored as well as my PM66, Just wasn’t sure if it would be a good all around choice. Thanks for the feedback.

Blog Entries
    Most used feature on my Crapstman? The quill lock. Allows me to set the drill point just above the board and lock it there to get the bit lined up with both hands to the mark on the board. Also useful when using a sanding drum. The one feature I wish I had? A table elevation crank.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NOW you tell me...

I have the Jet 17" model (JDP-17), having upgraded from a basic benchtop model with a small round table. The Jet's features are all pretty vanilla but I am still impressed by the woodworking-oriented table. It has T-slots for holding a fence and auto-adjusting hold down clamps (I use Kreg Automaxx) and a square recess for 3/4" plywood sacrificial inserts. It's functional enough where there isn't a need to make your own table.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Jeske View Post

Price?

Photos ?

Mine is either that exact or very similar model, shown in early part of this thread...have drilled many 5/ 8 holes in 1/2 steel no problem.. nice continuous curls.

Marc
    i don’t have the funds to buy it now but seems like an awesome price considering it has been restored. Spent my budget on a new grinder with CBN wheels instead. Not sure what other than paint has been done but on my PM66 he replaced the arbor, bearings, motor, wiring, starter, switch, had top Blanchard ground, new fence, etc. my guess is that this one is done right as well. Maybe someone else can benefit since I’m going to have to pass.

https://orlando.craigslist.org/tls/d...632495572.html
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 07-27-2018 at 11:08 AM.

Looks very nice and well worth the price.

It is interesting that he has the speed range of metal vs wood backwards. You need slower speeds for wood since you are most likely to use large bits that need the slower speeds. Ideal speeds for metal can easily be 2000rpm+ for small bits. Even the ideal speed for drilling mild steel with a 1/2" bit is 800rpm. Of course that needs more than 1/2hp, lots more. We typically drill a 3/32" feed hole in SS tube at 3000rpm, the slowest speed our faster DP runs. A 2" Forstner bit in hardwood is going to want no more than 300rpm, ideally more like 200-250rpm. You have a lot more room to drill slow in wood as your ideal chip size covers a much larger range of thickness and the drills will tolerate slower speeds with the much shorter drill times allowing cooling between holes.

That DP was designed for metal working with no thought towards wood. Clearly obvious in the table with T-slots for hold downs and the sealed coolant trough on the table. It is likely that it may go slow enough for wood if it was originally built with the 1/2hp motor. This DP will be HP limited but I would jump all over it if it was close to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    Looks very nice and well worth the price.

It is interesting that he has the speed range of metal vs wood backwards. You need slower speeds for wood since you are most likely to use large bits that need the slower speeds. Ideal speeds for metal can easily be 2000rpm+ for small bits. Even the ideal speed for drilling mild steel with a 1/2" bit is 800rpm. Of course that needs more than 1/2hp, lots more. We typically drill a 3/32" feed hole in SS tube at 3000rpm, the slowest speed our faster DP runs. A 2" Forstner bit in hardwood is going to want no more than 300rpm, ideally more like 200-250rpm. You have a lot more room to drill slow in wood as your ideal chip size covers a much larger range of thickness and the drills will tolerate slower speeds with the much shorter drill times allowing cooling between holes.

That DP was designed for metal working with no thought towards wood. Clearly obvious in the table with T-slots for hold downs and the sealed coolant trough on the table. It is likely that it may go slow enough for wood if it was originally built with the 1/2hp motor. This DP will be HP limited but I would jump all over it if it was close to me.

I noticed that but but figured it was a misstatement. The slow speed is why I went with my grizzly but it just has a lot of run out and a small table. One day I’ll upgrade but will buy local so I can test the machine first. Mail order on heavy items is tough when there are issues. Regardless, he did a great job on restoring the saw I bought so this one is probably n top notch shape.

here was the PM66 when I first got it home. It’s Setup completely differently now.
    https://txbonds.zenfolio.com/img/s/v...37068157-4.jpg
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 07-27-2018 at 11:37 AM.