Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What drillpress should I look to buy

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post

I understand your brand loyalty, not to mention you having paid such a high price for this machine, and your reluctance to admit that there just might be quality issues with some of them.
    No confirmation bias here, I own an Ellis and a PM 1200 and the only Teknatool product I have ever owned is a lathe chuck, while it is good I prefer Oneway chucks. The Voyager is not a unicorn in the wild, there are quite a few out there and there have been zero reports of high runout either objective or subjective. What appears in the video would be extreme runout and noticeable to anyone without the need for a dial indicator. At the very worst the DP shown in the video is an anomoly.

I have simply been impressed with the ones I have seen.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

anyone own the optional fence?
    Bob C

In fairness, I will say I seem to have a constant predisposition for Old USA Arn, has never failed me.

Have NO experience w the new fangled stuff.

Marc
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    Do not know if Teknatool has addressed it yet but I can say I have never heard mine. I think I have had mine about a year and a half, do not remember exactly when I bought it.
    I don't own a Nova, never been around one, but I have to ask: Is it possible you have high frequency hearing loss? I do, and have problems hearing various appliance "beeps" around the house. Just sayin'...

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Jeske View Post
    Hmm...I guess you're ready to host a new TV show called "pimp my tools". Seriously, that's a great tool!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the Jet 17”, I upgraded to this unit from a bench top drill press. I’m pretty happy with it, although ultimate precision isn’t so necessary for me, nor do I notice that this unit is lacking in anything as far as power and precision. The only downside is the the depth stop is a little annoying. Just drilled 50 1/8” holes in Mild steel with it, didn’t bog down.

That being said, the Nova would be a nice luxury to have in the shop, totally not necessary, but it’s a very cool tool. I have a Nova Galaxi DVR lathe and am quite happy with it, and it’s nice to have all the digital features that Nova inculcates into some of their tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cooper View Post
    I’m slowly upgrading each of my cheaper/lower quality power tools over time. Right now I have a $150 floor standing drill press which has served me well but I’d like to be on the lookout for something better. What would you recommend?

Budget - no big constraint

Use - general woodworking - lots of Forster bits, sometimes a circle cutter, normal brad point bits, ... I have the common Ridig osc spindle sander so I don’t do much sanding on it

Seems like 3 useful features would be
    - little quill (sp?) runout
    - variable speed via a dial would be nice but that may eliminate all the nice old machines so this is just a nice to have
    - big table - though I can probably build this
    - depth stop - need this

Are there a lot of great older units on the market and are they dramatically better than for example a new PM. Seems like I’ve read reviews from this group on the new machines and they have not been overwhelmingly positive. So it may be a trade off of build quality vs convenience features.

I’m in no hurry so I can shop for a while to find the right machine
    Bob
    First question is, What is your current machine not doing for you?

A few observations of mine;

I tend to be a minimalist when it comes to machines. The less features, the less to go wrong with one. That's a personal take only.
    I'm also increasingly becoming a fan of Old 'arn so to speak and frequent Craigslist quite a bit. I'm also in the market for a nice bench top drill press, because I don't have room for a standing model. Like you, it's not critical.

Lately I've been looking at the old Walker Turner, Heavy duty models from the 40's-60's, with the speed reduction feature. Not many are for sale with the third pulley, speed reducer but there is a fellow on OWWM that makes them based on the OEM version. I need the lower speed, because for some reason, I continue to find myself needing speeds less than the "norm". I also do some metal work from time to time.
    The lowest speed, new, drill press without electronic speed control, excluding the Nova, I've found, is by Jet. It's a special order and is less than 200 rpm. Still a little bit fast.

The old machines can be better, and probably were new, but a lot of them are beat to hell and would require some substantial overhaul to bring them back. What makes them nice, and worth the effort, is that the machine was designed to drill a hole, not fit a price point margin. They're also pretty cool.

One mod that folks are doing for drill presses, is getting old treadmills, sometimes off the side of the road, and taking the motors and speed controllers out of them and adapting them to the drill press. These are high torque DC Motors, generally 1/2HP and larger, and the results are pretty amazing. It might be a little bit of the "hack", and certainly not as elegant as the Nova, but the end result is the same.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I've had my Nova Voyager drill press for over a year now and I'm thrilled with its performance and convenience. I have been waiting for an electronic variable speed drill press for over 10 years. As has been mentioned there is practically no vibration. There was 5/1000" runout at the spindle in the unit that I first received, but Teknatools did replace the head and the replacement has about 1.5/1000" runout.

I did have to cut a notch out of my Woodpeckers DP table.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    The lowest speed, new, drill press without electronic speed control, excluding the Nova, I've found, is by Jet. It's a special order and is less than 200 rpm. Still a little bit fast.
    Per Nova spec sheet Speed Range: 50-3000rpm is default (option in settings to increase to 5500rpm)
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Richard

I didn't phrase that sentence correctly. Thank you.
    I want to get to less than 100 rpm myself. 40-60 rpm preferably.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Teknatool is currently one of our Sponsors here and they have a sale on their Nova drill press right now.

Here is the link from their banner advertisement:

https://www.teknatool.com/product/no...r-drill-press/

I'd totally go the Nova route if I were buying today...especially with the 6" quill travel. There have been a few times when the ~4.5" I have with my Jet just isn't quite enough.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Hmm...I guess you're ready to host a new TV show called "pimp my tools". Seriously, that's a great tool!
    It's showing 20+ yrs of hot humid shop since I re did it, but I love it.

Marc
    I'm pretty new here, not as as experienced as most. Please don't hesitate to correct me

ya'll ask a good question..."what isn't your current tool doing for you..."

there are a couple things but i've also noticed that when i upgraded some other mid-grade tools to those of higher quality (SCM and Sawstop) there was a smoothness and just "pleasant to use" feature that i really enjoyed. Now in the bandsaw case there were plenty of issues related to resaw that the Minimax resolved as it's a totally different animal than my small delta.

but for the drill press i'd say
    - i never change the belts unless i'm doing somethgin w/the circle cutter...just time consuming and i'd have to search for the optimal speed.
    - depth of travel -- my last project i had to make every hold deep enough by raising the table to finish the depth of cut

those are probably the two biggest. Like i said it's a $150 floor standing drill press and more than delivered on the investment. i have never measured runout to know how accurate it is but that hasn't been a big issue thus far.
    Bob C

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    I don't own a Nova, never been around one, but I have to ask: Is it possible you have high frequency hearing loss? I do, and have problems hearing various appliance "beeps" around the house. Just sayin'...
    You may well be correct about my hearing. I did a complete hearing test at a doctors office a few years ago and was told my hearing is degraded but does not warrant a hearing aid. With that said I still stand by my statement that I have never heard a beep from my Voyager. I will also add that beeps or not I think the Voyager was one of the smarter tool decisions I have made in recent years. Most every time I use it I think to myself I am glad I got rid of the old Taiwan Craftsman and bought the Voyager.