Thread: hollow grind

hollow grind

I have never used a hollow grind for chisels or planes but am interested with experimenting with it. I have a rikon low speed grinder and a wolverine rest. When setting up my turning tools I eyeball the angle and get the rest holding the tool so that the angle matches the current angle. I know there are also options like the robo rest, which when set up properly will give you a reasonably precise angle. I am sure there are also tools that can be used to measure the angle to set the rest but have never used any of them.

What do you all do to set the angle on your grinder?

The Veritas rest is very good. You can set it to say 25 degrees and go straight to the stones with their jig and the angles all match up correctly.

Our resident Oz, Derrick, has a method for setting/checking the angle on grinding setups and may have it shown in detail on his website Inthewoodshop.com.
    David

I use a Tormek angle gauge ..

However, if you want to make your own, I have a very simple method on my website: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Woodwor...ryGrinder.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hey Derek, thanks, exactly what I was looking for.

I did exactly like what Derek does. When I had the rest set properly and was happy with the result, I put a piece of scrap next to the wheel and traced the arch. Then I cut that out close to the line and stuck the block of wood back on the rest and let the wheel grind out the rest of it.

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 07-22-2018 at 8:37 PM.

Blog Entries
    I hope I'm not breaking a rule with a link here, but it has to do with this subject. For a long time, I struggled with grinding and then read "Sharpening with Waterstones" by Ian Kirby. I fashioned a simple jig to match his more permanent one, but it solved my problem. It takes less than five minutes and has worked very well for me. No aftermarket jigs and yet works better than when I had them. I'll stipulate that it works well for me but I"m sure others have their favorite methods as well. Anyway,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM-h_9trLLY&t=1s
    Last edited by Don Dorn; 07-23-2018 at 11:47 PM.