Thread: cleaning up full extension slides full of dust/dirt

cleaning up full extension slides full of dust/dirt

I bought a bunch of new open box full extension drawer sides with most of them being soft close style from a cabinet shop that is closing down. They were sitting in open shelves and are full of the dirt and dust from not being covered up. Anyone have any suggestions on a good way to clean them up and get them operating smooth again. I thought about soaking them in purple power then applying oil to the ball bearings once they are clean and dry but dont know if that will damage the soft close function.IMG_2116.jpgIMG_2115.jpg
    Last edited by Jason Winterrowd; 07-21-2018 at 4:16 PM.

I salvage a lot of slides, I always start with compressed air. That gets most of the loose stuff off. Then use a good soft rag with a cleaner on it. Change sides often. You have to be careful and not get cleaner in the ball bearings. If you do keep going and lubricate them again. I have to do this with my panty slides every few years. They are exposed to stuff falling and getting caught in parts. Good Luck. Dan

Wash them in petrol using a brush to get all the hard dried grease out of them then blow dry with compressed air. I then use some spray grease to lubricate the slides when they are dry.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Second the grease rec.

Oil is to thin to remain in the races long term.

I just use a soft brush and mineral spirits, then re-grease.

Dan Rude - what are "panty slides"

Wayne

Thank you all for the advice !!

Darn spell check---pantry slides. I try to catch those. My pull out pantry in a old closet. Dan
    pantry 3.jpg

side mount slides are generally lubed with a lot of thick grease. When we use them straight out of the box (as long as they are not soft close) we clean them in a mineral spirits bath and then re-lube them with light oil (like 3 in 1). The Thick grease they come with from the factory is almost a guarantee for a callback.

P.S. a lot of yours look like import soft close so be carefull soaking the mechanism in solvents.

Blow off with compressed air. Take to parts washer loaded with Simply Green or one of the other multitudinous colored clones. Clean, inspect, rinse, dry with compressed air. Lube with grease.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    Blow off with compressed air. Take to parts washer loaded with Simply Green or one of the other multitudinous colored clones. Clean, inspect, rinse, dry with compressed air. Lube with grease.
    Compressed air will not touch the dust that has come in contact with the grease on chinese import slides. The stuff is a grade or two below cosmoline.