Thread: Veritas Combination Plane Blade in Record 044

Veritas Combination Plane Blade in Record 044

Hello,

I've just bought a Record 044 Plane and cannot source any blades for it beyond the 8 or so straight cutters that it came with. I'd like to get a reeding blade and was wondering whether I could modify the Veritas Combination Plane reeding blade (4 reed 1/8") - cutting some slots in it with a diamond file or Dremel- and use it in the 044.

I cannot find the dimensions of these Veritas Blades online, so I thought I might enquire here in case someone who owns both could assess this for me or perhaps someone has already tried this?

Many thanks,

Paul

I use some Veritas blades in my 043 and 044 planes - the 043 doesnt have a depth adjustment screw - tap tap with little hammer. The 044 has a depth adjustment screw but it's just a convenience - remove it and adjust the depth with the little hammer - no need to cut slots in the blade

Blog Entries
    You might try searching for Stanley #50 blades. They seem to be of similar size and use a similar slot on the underside to engage the adjuster.

The Veritas blades may be a bit long to fit into the #044. If you have a way to notch them, you should also be able to cut them down a bit.

You might experiment with an easier to find Stanley #45 blade.

Here is an image to compare the sizes of blades:

d Blades Compared.jpg

The top blade is from my #50. It is shorter than all the others. The two center blades are from a Stanley #45 or #55. The blades on the bottom are the Veritas blades.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Paul, I have a 044 as well, and would be very interested in knowing what you find out. Please repost if you find something that works. Thank you!

Blog Entries
    The blades on my Veritas Small Plow plane are 1/8" thick and 3 1/4" long.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 07-23-2018 at 9:31 PM.

My 044 blades work in my 55's, so I would think Stanley blades would work in the Record. There are usually plenty on the auction site.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    My 044 blades work in my 55's, so I would think Stanley blades would work in the Record. There are usually plenty on the auction site.
    That's interesting. The 044 shown in the classic "Planecraft" book has slots on the underside of the cutting iron, not a slde slot as on the Stanley 45/55; did later models switch over to the side slot?

Stanley 45 and Record 405 cutters are interchangeable. The Record 044 is a different animal.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    That's interesting. The 044 shown in the classic "Planecraft" book has slots on the underside of the cutting iron, not a slde slot as on the Stanley 45/55; did later models switch over to the side slot?
    That was also my first thought, a #55 is a very different plane than a #044 or #50. My set of Record blades for their version of the Stanley #45 are all metric except for a couple of specific inch sized blades. My #45 & #55 blades are too long to fit into my #50, they hit against the the handle area. The geometry of a #044 may be different.

One thought on this is if you do have to cut the blade to shorten it, keep it long enough so the adjusting nut can engage the end so at least there is one way adjustment. This was learned when using the 1/8" blade with a #45. It is shorter than the other blades and does not have a notch for the adjuster. but the pin of the adjuster will push on the top edge of the blade to advance it into cutting depth.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

My Record is an 044C, rather than an 044. Sorry for the confusion. The 044C is from the 1970's, and a poor design with a depth stop that is as good as useless. I do like the cutters though, and they do have the side slot.

Is that a comfortable plane in use? The handle's always looked awkward to me.

I bought it new when I was young, and didn't know any better. The handle is not uncomfortable, but I'm not one to think much about how a tool feels in my hands, unless I'm using it all day. The depth stop is held in place with a screw that goes down inside a soft plastic tube, which is supposed to expand the soft plastic tube to keep the depth stop from moving. It's as good as useless, so no way to use that tool for long anyway. The only use I get out of it is from the irons these days, but did use it some back then, before I bought the 55's.

I had bought other Record planes new back then, and really liked all of them-some bench planes, an 073, an 077, and others. This was really the only loser in the bunch. I do like the irons better than Stanley irons though. They don't sharpen any sharper, but do stay sharp longer in use, so I guess they're a little harder than the Stanley irons, but no scientific testing from here-just the way it seems in my hands.

Blog Entries
    I do like the irons better than Stanley irons though. They don't sharpen any sharper, but do stay sharp longer in use, so I guess they're a little harder than the Stanley irons, but no scientific testing from here-just the way it seems in my hands.
    It is likely the metallurgy and hardening procedures were improved in the years between when the Stanley blades and the Record blades were made.

One thing noticed with my Record blades is the notch is a bit tight on the Stanley combo planes. They may have also made the notch to fit a metric size. My solution was to file them a little bigger.

jtk

My 55's had seen so much use before I got them, that the part that nests in the iron slots are probably worn down. One of the 55's has almost all of the nickel plating gone, probably from sweat, but not any scaly rust, and everything still functions fine on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Really informative replies. Thanks very much. The tip about keeping it at a length such that it can engage with the adjuster is great Jim, thanks. Though hopefully I can avoid having to cut hardened steel, as I've not got the tools required. ( Would have to buy the Dremel I mentioned earlier)