Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squaring drill press table to bit.

1. I just chuck a bit, slap my Wixey on it and zero it then drop it on the table and square it to 90. It takes about as long to do it as its does to read this and it's well within tolerances for wood working and really easy. Don't you just love technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berklich View Post
    I just chuck a bit, slap my Wixey on it and zero it then drop it on the table and square it to 90. It takes about as long to do it as its does to read this and it's well within tolerances for wood working and really easy. Don't you just love technology.
    I would tend to agree that this is close enough, but what the wire does is square the chuck in 360 deg and because it does not rely on how straight a drill rod is in the chuck it eliminates that possible error . don,t you just love knowledge
    jack
    English machines

I tried your method on my Clausing [non-adjustable] and it was within a thousandth. Good enough for me.

Jack I know where there is a Wadkin NX 138, is it a machine of usefulness? Can't find much on it in a general search. Don't really need it but it is cool. If it could grind my shaper knives reasonably competently its for sale for about the cost of three sharpening with shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I tried your method on my Clausing [non-adjustable] and it was within a thousandth. Good enough for me.

Jack I know where there is a Wadkin NX 138, is it a machine of usefulness? Can't find much on it in a general search. Don't really need it but it is cool. If it could grind my shaper knives reasonably competently its for sale for about the cost of three sharpening with shipping.
    Larry that’s a tool room grinder Still being serviced through advance Machinery. Pretty much as good as it gets If you’re in the high-speed steel

454C892A-4226-444A-ABB7-9E351E927511.jpg

I just picked up this surface Grinder With magnetic table to lap my HSS and carbide
    Last edited by jack forsberg; 07-25-2018 at 4:43 PM.
    jack
    English machines

I emailed them this morning and said I would take it. $100, can't really lose much.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I emailed them this morning and said I would take it. $100, can't really lose much.
    I would’ve only paid 50 Larry
    jack
    English machines

Blog Entries
    My drill press table can only be adjusted for height and left/right with regard to the axis of the quill. If it wasn't machined square to the column when it was made, there is no way I can change it now.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    My drill press table can only be adjusted for height and left/right with regard to the axis of the quill. If it wasn't machined square to the column when it was made, there is no way I can change it now.
    Lee, if you have an auxiliary table (the typical standard DP metal table is too small for many woodworking tasks) you can shim it with, e.g., blue tape for front-to-back squareness.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.