Thread: Air regulator leaking

Air regulator leaking

Hi,

I finally got a permanent compressor system installed in my shop - it's great not to be tripping over hoses all time.

I got a Pneumatic Plus dryer/regulator PPC3C-N03G-Q1, link here

http://www.pneumaticplus.com/pneumat...ystem-3-8-npt/

To avoid compressor leakdown I installed a ball valve ahead of the regulator. Shortly after install the regulator section started leaking from the ports on the right side, I believe these ports vent air if reducing the set pressure. I e-mailed Pneumatic plus and they gave me a procedure to re-seat the diaphragm by pushing on the stem but it did not work , in fact its getting worse. They did not respond to an additional e-mail asking them if this unit is user serviceable, i will try again.

I thought I saw a parts link on the website but now can't find it.

It may be that putting a ball valve in front of a reg is not good because the rapid 0-150 psi may damage the regulator. Is this true?

Anyone know if this unit can be repaired? It looks like the stem screws out but I'm not sure - it is plastic.
    The unit still works but the leak is annoying.

I could try for a warranty replacement but if I can repair myself it would probably be less than shipping.

Thanks

Alex
    one thing you could try, is to back off the regulator all the way, slowly cut in air, and see if you adjust the regulate and stop the bleeding. It sometimes works, otherwise, send it back. If it's under warranty, let them deal with it.

In the future you should slowly cut in the regulator. Cutting it in rapidly puts a big D/P across the diaphragm, and can cause the needle valve to not re- seat correctly in the orifice restriction that sets your downstream, sensed pressure.
    Most regulators like that are fairly simple. There is a diaphragm, and spring, to set pressure, a needle valve, and an orifice restriction. The regulator works by equalizing the upstream and down stream pressure by the D/P of the pressure under the diaphragm and the spring pressure above. If pressure is too low the spring moves the diaphragm and needle to port air, once it's balanced the needle moves back and air supply is stopped.
    It could probably be fixed, but you'd need an exploded view of it. If you do take it apart yourself, be sure to back the regulator off all the way to remove the spring pressure, or you may end up with 3 or 4 little brass pieces that make up the plug and seat, popping out.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 07-22-2018 at 10:00 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)