Thread: Can A Sanding Belt Be Reversed?

Can A Sanding Belt Be Reversed?

I own a Ridgid Oscillating Belt/Spindle Sander and I am currently using Mirka 4"x 24" sanding belts (#57-4-24-100). The manufacturer says that the belts are constructed with a "T joint set on an angle." Because of the oscillating cycle only the bottom third of each belt is used and then I replace the belt.

My obvious question is whether or not I can reverse the mounting of the belt to use the unused portion to extend its life. The inside of the belt shows arrows indicating a recommended direction.

Of course, I could simply re-install the belt in the opposite direction and see what happens but I am concerned about any safety issues. Can I do this?

BTW, I love this little machine.

Thanks for any input

Blog Entries
    Despite the directional arrows I have had no problems when reversing quality belts that have a flat seam type construction.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn, that is great to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Wunder View Post
    I own a Ridgid Oscillating Belt/Spindle Sander and I am currently using Mirka 4"x 24" sanding belts (#57-4-24-100). The manufacturer says that the belts are constructed with a "T joint set on an angle." Because of the oscillating cycle only the bottom third of each belt is used and then I replace the belt.

My obvious question is whether or not I can reverse the mounting of the belt to use the unused portion to extend its life. The inside of the belt shows arrows indicating a recommended direction.

Of course, I could simply re-install the belt in the opposite direction and see what happens but I am concerned about any safety issues. Can I do this?

BTW, I love this little machine.

Thanks for any input
    You could also put a thick spacer on the table to use a different part of the belt, like Grandpa Cheapskate.

I sort of think of myself as Grandpa Thrifty

A hollow core door or a piece of 2x stock make nice spacers. It thought the oscillation used the entire belt width?
    Bill D.

Build a platform/sled on an angle so you can utilize more of the vertical height of the belt. My edge sander has a 29" platen so it works OK for longer stock. The shorter platen my be limiting for much of an angle so a riser/spacer may work better for you. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks to all of you for great ideas. I never thought of raising the work via a spacer/platform. Now I have several options