Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WinCNC Wireless Pendant Operation

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That's a nice feature...my wired USB keypad doesn't function if WinCNC isn't the active window on the screen.
    So thats interesting,... So if you happen to have a different application open and as the main screen does the wired pendant function like the enter key or other shortcut keys when you push a button? I wonder how it knows that WinCNC is the active screen?

We can have WinCNC minimized and still run with the pendant.

Mark, I did notice that V-Carve Pro 'recognized' the keystrokes on the USB keypad (I hesitate to refer to it as a "pendant" because it's just two vertical rows of buttons...) when it was the active window. I suspect that's a function of MS Windows with USB input devices. Perhaps something interacting with WinCNC wirelessly is different...I don't know.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Something that has helped me a lot is a simple wireless numeric keypad. I think I paid ten bucks or so for it. I use a laptop, so it was nice to have the arrow/jog keys separate. And, as mentioned above, I use it at the machine for setting zero points and other needs. Works great and was a good investment.

Tony

Oh, I am using Mach 3 btw.

Yeah. I just always assumed the pendant was just a wireless keyboard emulator just like a game controller (which I had thought about setting up but couldnt bring myself to walk around the shop with an xbox controller in my hand lol).

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Leonard View Post
    Something that has helped me a lot is a simple wireless numeric keypad. I think I paid ten bucks or so for it. I use a laptop, so it was nice to have the arrow/jog keys separate. And, as mentioned above, I use it at the machine for setting zero points and other needs. Works great and was a good investment.

Tony

I had looked into those myself but was always holding out for the jog wheel. I agree though just having machine control in your hand alone makes things so much easier.

Tony, I like that price, which one do you use? I have Mach 3 and am switching to a laptop also.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by richard newman View Post
    Tony, I like that price, which one do you use? I have Mach 3 and am switching to a laptop also.
    I have a full pendent wired USB, Made in USA and it was ? $120 I think. Jog wheel and all the WinCNC one has I'd guess.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

We use a WinCNC pendant on our machine. What I like most is being able to set a Z0 by lowering the tool to a part without walking back and forth to the screen. It would be handier if I was brave enough to leave it stuck to the front of the machine, but I worry about brushing against it and knocking it to the floor. Sometimes it loses it's connection when the steel gantry is between the pendant and computer but move it a little and it's right back on line.

Sorry, they went up or I forgot. They are $16 today...

Jelly Comb

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes, you have to be careful where you lay it down so as to avoid hitting it by accident! It has worked flawlessly though. No issues.

Quote Originally Posted by James Biddle View Post
    What I like most is being able to set a Z0 by lowering the tool to a part without walking back and forth to the screen.
    Thats where it shines for us as well. Setting XY zero's on odd centers, z zeros on fussy work. We have an auto z setter and we programmed one of the macro buttons to the auto z so you can have the setter in your hand and auto z right from the pendant. Eliminates a lot of steps.

A massive function of the pendant for us is for on the fly feed rate changes when we are surfacing large uneven slabs. Being able to worry a bit less about whether you zero'd off the highest point in the slab you can just start the deck-off with a 25% feed rate and stand there for the first pass. Low spots where you cutting air we ramp up to 150-200% to get past them and then back down when we hit a high spot. It speeds up the first couple pass or two a ton over running a first pass slow and the rest at speed.

Its sped up our odd ball work a ton. Doesnt do much for the day to day stuff breaking down sheet goods but it was well worth it. We dont have the wincnc and I think we paid 90 bucks for the pendant and then had to pay to have the keypad option added to wincnc.

Sorry, they went up or I forgot. They are $16 today...

Jelly Comb

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yes, you have to be careful where you lay it down so as to avoid hitting it by accident! It has worked flawlessly though. No issues.
    Thanks Tony, still within my budget :-)
    Richard