Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WinCNC Wireless Pendant Operation

WinCNC Wireless Pendant Operation

There is not a lot of info available on this very usefull accessory for WinCNC controlled machines, so I thought I would post a video of how it actually operates.

https://youtu.be/YhguEASCaSE

GCnC411@gmail.com for more info
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

I would think wireless controls of any kind for a CNC machine would make me a little nervous.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Great video. We don't have the wincnc specific but use it every day. It really speeds up operation in so many ways. I want to try and figure out how to print s new button set as I've programmed a bunch of the open buttons to macros weve created.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    I would think wireless controls of any kind for a CNC machine would make me a little nervous.
    It is a massive increase in efficiency as opposed to having to run everything from the control PC. Feed rate adjustment on the fly is a major function of the pendant for us. But there are so many more. Setting difficult Z zeros or being able to be crouched right down at the tool for setting zeros is super handy. You can toggle your jog mode into Slow/Medium/Fast, .001/.01/.1 right from the pendant. Its a no brainer for us. You see machinists running huge 5 axis machines every day from the same style pendants.

"
    I would think wireless controls of any kind for a CNC machine would make me a little nervous."

You should have heard what they said on the beach at Kitty Hawk!
    Gary Campbell
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    It is a massive increase in efficiency as opposed to having to run everything from the control PC. Feed rate adjustment on the fly is a major function of the pendant for us. But there are so many more. Setting difficult Z zeros or being able to be crouched right down at the tool for setting zeros is super handy. You can toggle your jog mode into Slow/Medium/Fast, .001/.01/.1 right from the pendant. Its a no brainer for us. You see machinists running huge 5 axis machines every day from the same style pendants.
    I have one, but its wired and with about 10 ft or longer lead. As a licensed ham radio person since about 1978 I know about wireless. I plan on using the same one, Made jn USA on my new Fine Line Automation machine.
    Last edited by Bill George; 07-21-2018 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Campbell View Post
    "
    I would think wireless controls of any kind for a CNC machine would make me a little nervous."

You should have heard what they said on the beach at Kitty Hawk!
    Now that is priceless. Perhaps we should go back to cutting our grass with a scythe lol.

I have one, but its wired and with about 10 ft or longer lead
    I would not have a pendant if they were only available wired. To much chance to get tangled/tripping/and so on. Our insurance guy doesnt even like to see air hoses or cords on the floor around the CNC. The gantry on our machine (and its no monster) is not going to bat an eyelid at you when you trip over a cord or hose and wind up between it, and its desired destination. As stated, its not like you "running the machine" from the pendant. All your doing is basically executing the exact same command as you are via keyboard. The code doesnt run from the pendant, the macros dont run from the pendant. One could easily worry about a wired pendant getting pinched or causing a short or a short in the plug and executing some erroneous command. Things can happen anywhere.

I was stating my preference for a pendant. I know high dollar industry uses Remote wireless all the time but they are built to a much high standard than what we are seeing here, no doubt OSHA approved and with numerous backup and safeguards. No Mark, I have never seen a wireless lawn mower in operation but I have no doubt they exist. Mine is just a John Deere Zero turn.

I was stating my preference for a pendant. I know high dollar industry uses Remote wireless all the time but they are built to a much high standard than what we are seeing here, no doubt OSHA approved and with numerous backup and safeguards. No Mark, I have never seen a wireless lawn mower in operation but I have no doubt they exist. Mine is just a John Deere Zero turn.
    Now THAT would be my choice for a lawnmower lol. ;-)

Yeah, my wife wonders why its called work when I am having so much fun mowing. Faster I get it done the more time for my other toys. Yes and I pick up my new FLA 4x4 Monday at the freight terminal.

John-Deere-Z235.jpg
    Last edited by Bill George; 07-21-2018 at 5:39 PM.

That looks pretty functional Gary. Thanks for posting the video!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Let me answer a number of questions that I have received via email and PM:

The pendant buttons will operate any (and only) macros or operations that are currently on your WinCNC screen

Other actions or options can be added (by yourself for free) or for a small additional charge

Any operation or action that you machine is capable of performing can be assigned to a button and can be operated by a pendant button.

If you have a Branded machine, you should contact that OEM to add your pendant. They may refer you to me, but your first contact should be the OEM's Tech Support. DIY WinCNC users may contact myself or WinCNC directly.
    Gary Campbell
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

I was also asked by a few in PM's if the WinCNC has to be the active screen on your desktop and no, it doesnt.

We programmed all sorts of macros and functions to the unused buttons on the pendant. I agree that the machine specific option would be best for most as it would have a button label printed specifically for your setup (other than any custom buttons you program). I havent looked into it much but hope to find a way to print a flexible decal to overlay the buttons with labeling that makes sense to me. Plus it would be nice to be able to re-print a new label when buttons are reassigned in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    I was also asked by a few in PM's if the WinCNC has to be the active screen on your desktop and no, it doesnt.
    That's a nice feature...my wired USB keypad doesn't function if WinCNC isn't the active window on the screen.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...