Thread: New guy

New guy

I posted a question already about the bevel angle on the tools I bought recently with my used lathe, I want to tell a little about myself. Four decades experience in home building and remodeling, on again off again woodworker. Trying to set up my shop for a little more woodworking after I retire, hopefully next year. Many “irons in the fire”, progress is very slow. I am very impressed with the talent and skill displayed on this forum. Hopefully I can contribute something myself. I do love working with wood!
    Doug Wisecup

I recently had the wonderful opportunity to attend a demo by Stuart Batty. Life changing event for me. If you've NEVER turned, my suggestion today is to learn the way of SB. For me it was a life changing session. He uses a 40/40 grind, which is 40 degree bevel and 40 degree wings. IF I had learned that when I started, I'd be way ahead of where I am today.

Thank you. I will certainly follow up on that suggestion. Does he have videos on Youtube? My time for woodworking and turning is very limited now, I am trying to get tools and shop organized. I will check out that 40/40 grind for sure. Thanks again!

I found that, for someone who never turned before about 1 1/2 years ago, I benefitted from a coupe of short classes with someone who, fortunately for me, is a good teacher of the basics. There are hundreds of videos online but, in many, it's very hard to glean technique either because of the way they are filmed or the person doing the video. A local hands-on class that teaches the basics and gives you the opportunity to actually practice those basics with an experienced turner there to tell you what you are doing wrong, is invaluable. Then, practice. Then, maybe take another class to find out what you're still doing wrong. Then practice.

I personally didn't worry about grinds to start with. I read a lot, had a good basic class, practiced, then had a similar basic class a few months later.

The other thing I did, which isn't for everyone (and probably won't be recommended by many), is invest a couple of good carbide insert tools to get started and familiar with the lathe. It allowed me to easily and safely turn and, at the same time get to know my lathe without worrying about all the sharpening stuff. After I turned for about a year I, of course, realized that there are things I can do with HSS tools and good sharpening that I can't do as well with carbide. So, now I've broken into some good quality gouges and scrapers. The fact is, though, that using the carbide tools, I learned a huge amount about turning and using my lathe. Now, since I want to improve the finished product and cut down on my sanding, the steel gouges and scrapers are a good investment and do help improve my bowls.

I would encourage you to look for a turning club in your area. You will find very talented turners willing to help and turners just starting like you.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I have no doubt at all that joining a club is the best way I can learn, but there is simply no way I can do that, nearest one is 1 hour away. I'm not sure at this point how much I will use the lathe in my woodworking, so will just do the best I can on my own for a while. Thanks

Even if you can't make it to the club meetings I would still talk with the club. It's very possible that someone who lives close to you is a member and would be willing to meet up with you. It only takes a few minutes to learn a new technique that you can go back home and try over the next couple weeks.

I'm very new to turning and was only able to make one meeting (it'll be September before I can get to another one) so most everything I know has been from lots of reading on the internet. For some turning I think that would be enough but for bowls and dealing with tear out on end grain it's been a slow learning curve. It doesn't help when I can't turn for a week or so. After about a month now I'm starting to remember quicker what I should be doing and not doing. So you can learn from just the internet, it's just much slower.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    Even if you can't make it to the club meetings I would still talk with the club. It's very possible that someone who lives close to you is a member and would be willing to meet up with you. It only takes a few minutes to learn a new technique that you can go back home and try over the next couple weeks.
    This is true. I've had several contacts through the club for someone who wanted to get started or learn if they were interested. I usually show them the basic tools, some cuts, what is needed for sharpening, a bit about lathes, then give them a turning lesson. I always start with the skew chisel. (I've never had anyone fail to learn to use it for planing cuts, usually in just a few minutes.)

JKJ

Thanks to all. I am going to talk to a friend about helping me.

If you want to get started at home go to youtube.com and type in John60lucas and it will bring up my videos on how to use each tool and sharpening and sharpening problems.

Thanks John, I have found your videos, they are very helpful!

In addition to John's excellent videos I second Kyle on Stuart Batty as another good instructor. There are some by Stuart at club meeting demos on you tube but he also has about 30 short (8-15 minute) videos on Vimeo in his fundamental series. These are not on a particular tool but topics not usually covered in detail by others.
    https://vimeo.com/woodturning/videos...rmat:thumbnail
    Another good one to me is Brian Havens. Well presented and clear. I believe there are typically several methods of achieving the same goal/results so a variety of instructors may give a more "rounded out" approach for you to tailor to your own likes or tool preferences.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BHavensWoodworker
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Thanks Michael, I will watch those videos