Thread: Educate Me On Motor Replacement Frames - Need a 184t

Educate Me On Motor Replacement Frames - Need a 184t

So I decided to do a motor replacement to a single phase for my powermatic planer since my VFD blew up. In the long run it's less of a headache and since I don't have a dedicated 220 line for a VFD.

My current motor is a 184t mounting with a 1 1/8 shaft and 3450rpm. It's about a $400 motor in a single phase model.

Can I use another framed motor as long as I get the shaft to be in line with the pulley? I read that a 5hp 184t and a 5hp 56y despite being the same hp aren't the same in internals. Can someone verify that for me?

Also, if I find a 184t with a smaller shaft, can I just swap the pulley to match OR would that not be strong enough for a planer motor?

A different frame will work, as will a slightly smaller diameter shaft, especially for hobby use. You need to make sure the shaft is long enough for the sheaves if the planer uses more than one belt. Also make sure the rotation matches or can be changed on the single phase motor. The belts will need to be changed whether the sheaves are or not as the distance between them will change due to the motor frame change. The starter will likely be undersized now and need swapping since the amps will have doubled. One reason for the larger frame motor is it will also have larger diameter bearings with a higher dynamic load rating. There may be others but higher than my pay grade to know. Dave