Thread: Upgrading a cheap anvil

Upgrading a cheap anvil

I have one of those cheap cast iron anvils that gets dented easily. It is useful as a weight in glue-ups and sometimes for actual anvil work but I'd like to upgrade it a little, at minimal cost. Thinking of adding a 1/2" steel plate to the flat top. And since I don't have a welder am thinking of epoxy. This will not make it good for heavy pounding but should be better than what I have now. Suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    I have one of those cheap cast iron anvils that gets dented easily. It is useful as a weight in glue-ups and sometimes for actual anvil work but I'd like to upgrade it a little, at minimal cost. Thinking of adding a 1/2" steel plate to the flat top. And since I don't have a welder am thinking of epoxy. This will not make it good for heavy pounding but should be better than what I have now. Suggestions?
    Get someone to weld it on for you. As I recall that is the way real anvils were made a over 100 years ago. Cast iron body and steel plate welded on the top. Plan B, find a real anvil, like a old Peter Wright expect to pay $200 on up.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10