Thread: spindle turning makes you a better turner.

spindle turning makes you a better turner.

So does practice practice practice. so when my friend called and asked if I would be willing to do these I said yes. I turned these spindles for a friend who is making a 4 poster bed. He is doing the lower parts but just felt uncomfortable trying to do the upper spindles. These are 2 part. The top 14" will screw off to make it easier to move the bed. I did these entirely by eye so the coves and long sweeping curves may be off just a little. That is so a close eye can tell it was hand turned and not machine done. I could have made a template and made each one virtually the same but that wasn't necessary in this case.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Nice work John!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Those look very good! What kind of wood?

Nicely done John! I actually enjoy spindle turning.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

When I first started turning, I was told I should practice spindle turning as it would make me a better turner. I wasn't sure why this was so, but I now know it does. When coming back to turning after a period away, I now start with a small spindle turning practice to get me in the groove.

Very nice job there.

Mick.

I wish there were more "everyday" items that were spindle-turned! Bowls are very practical and salable so we tend to get pretty good at making them. For me anyway, spindle turning is something I do only on occasion and then for utility items like a tool handle.