Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's all downhill from here

It's all downhill from here

Hi All,

I'm in the throes of shop planning and one of the bigger challenges I'm facing is how to move machines into my basement workshop. Luckily my basement is a walkout, however the lot is sloped which adds an additional layer of complexity. I guess I should count myself fortunate, as it's better to deal with a grade than a staircase.

Here's a picture of the rear of my house. The machine(s) would be travelling from the right hand side (which is paved), over to the left where the basement entrance is located.

Any suggestions on how to go about tackling this?

IMG_2389.jpg

Go the other way.

What are the machines? Little stuff is easy, 1000# plus is a little more complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    What are the machines? Little stuff is easy, 1000# plus is a little more complicated.
    Well, that'll be partially dictated by the difficulty of getting them into the shop. On the heavy weight end of things is a Hammer A3-41, which I believe is about 850lbs, if I go with a lighter option I'll probably end up with a 16" 4 post planer and a 8" wedge jointer.

My best idea so far is to get the machines onto aftermarket mobile bases. From there, roll them down the slope on overlapping sheets of plywood, with their descent being controlled by long tow straps and an ATV.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kang View Post
    Well, that'll be partially dictated by the difficulty of getting them into the shop. On the heavy weight end of things is a Hammer A3-41, which I believe is about 850lbs, if I go with a lighter option I'll probably end up with a 16" 4 post planer and a 8" wedge jointer.

My best idea so far is to get the machines onto aftermarket mobile bases. From there, roll them down the slope on overlapping sheets of plywood, with their descent being controlled by long tow straps and an ATV.
    Be sure to post a video of that. With any luck, you could definitely get on one of the tv shows. :^)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    Be sure to post a video of that. With any luck, you could definitely get on one of the tv shows. :^)
    If you have a better idea I'd love to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kang View Post
    If you have a better idea I'd love to hear it.
    A truck with a winch or a tow hook with safety chains? It's the ATV that got me.

Or you could hire a guy with a Bobcat. Trees might be an issue with the truck. It looks like you're out in the woods. You're gonna mess with the lawn in either case (but Vancouver is really wet so it shouldn't matter too much.)
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 07-21-2018 at 2:02 PM.

Check out Darcy's post.

Blog Entries
    A come along might be a better choice. And a pallet jack.

Mike

A small tilting trailer on the back of a lawn and garden tractor is what I do.

The way you do it safely without killing yourself is to hire a rigger to do it job. Really. Totally worth it in this kind of situation where getting between points A and B isn't just about weight, but about a healthy slope and uneven surface.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I would suggest for safety of the people doing it, and to keep from destroying your machines, is to use a bobcat with a forklift attachment. If you put the machines on a pallet and secure them with straps, the bobcat operator should be able to keep the machine level at all times through the bucket tilt and by backing down the hill. I believe keeping them mostly level on the short journey is paramount to keeping the machinery from rolling down the hill and destroying them and possibly injuring/killing someone.

Moving all of the machines at once? Hire a rigger to do it. They will have the equipment to do it properly and quickly, and they have insurance in case something goes wrong. If you decide to do it yourself, please post the video on YouTube. It might help pay for the damages.

Charley

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    A truck with a winch or a tow hook with safety chains? It's the ATV that got me.

Or you could hire a guy with a Bobcat. Trees might be an issue with the truck. It looks like you're out in the woods. You're gonna mess with the lawn in either case (but Vancouver is really wet so it shouldn't matter too much.)
    Yep, the bobcat with forks is a good idea. I may just downscale my machine choices to make everything a little more manageable. Thanks for your feedback.

I don’t have that bad a slope but close. I also have a longer way to travel and down 4 steps in the shop. My biggest machine weighs 800#ish. I take the bucket off my tractor and put the forks on. They all went on a pallet and I would back down a hill like that and keep the load low. Obviously you need a tractor with forks, or a skid steer to do this. That’s no help but maybe somebody in the neighborhood has one that can come over for a couple of hours? I always strap the machines down good once on the forks.

It looks like you have a little lip to get in the door? You should be able to raise the machine up and slide it right in.

I never thought of hiring a rigger, and I’m sure that’s way easier.

Now getting them down the steps into my basement is another issue...........but you don’t have that problem.

I’m sure people will disagree with specifics, but I think most tractors with a front end loader can lift 850#. There are some tiny homeowner grades that only do maybe 700# or so but counterweight becomes and issue. If somebody does own a tractor in the neighborhood they will know what their machine can lift.