Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tipped my Powermatic jointer....BAD DAY

Great excuse for a new toy!

Blog Entries
    Personally, I think I'd replace it.

PHM

If every broken piece of cast iron meant a scrapped machine this would be a pretty sad situation. Cast iron tends to have a very toothy break which indexes the pieces beautifully for repair. Braze or silver solder this piece for a perfect no fuss repair. I've done so on many machines for myself and others. I am not a professional welder or brazing man but capable and reasonably well read on the subject. Where has the Yankee spirit gone these days? It seems to have been off shored too... Fix it!

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    The trouble with that break is that the dovetail piece is small and the base is big- there will be a lot of movement when welding or brazing, so getting it so it's accurate would be a long shot IMO. But, I'd bet theres more than a few PM60's out there with trashed beds so getting the base casting may well be possible, that would be the direction I'd look into. Shame, damn good jointers, better than you can buy today.

This site shows a base in stock for $214.

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/po...560_32565.html

JJ--great find!
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Sorry for your loss on this, I know it was very "troubling" to say the least. Looks like a replacement might be the best solution to the dilemma. I was lifting a new 8" jointer last week with a strap under each table and visions of something like this happening. I set the jointer back on the ground and placed and extra strap under each table, just in case. Amazing how heavy and robust you think of these tools but yet very fragile when dropped or knocked over. A good learning experience for all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wooden View Post
    The trouble with that break is that the dovetail piece is small and the base is big- there will be a lot of movement when welding or brazing, so getting it so it's accurate would be a long shot IMO. But, I'd bet theres more than a few PM60's out there with trashed beds so getting the base casting may well be possible, that would be the direction I'd look into. Shame, damn good jointers, better than you can buy today.
    Proper brazing would mean little to no movement as you add a minimum of material, control of the casting temp on pre and post braze/weld is critical. I don't disagree that there may well be spares out there. Just where out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    This site shows a base in stock for $214.

https://www.ereplacementparts.com/po...560_32565.html

And you can get it direct from Powermatic for $187, though you'd have to compare shipping prices.

Tool parts direct has it for ~$166 with $8 shipping? Sounds too good to be true, but who knows.

https://www.toolpartsdirect.com/wmh_..._mdl_60b_.html

That jointer is done.
    Even if new parts were found the whole thing would have to be ground flat.
    For coplaner tables.
    Ethan your time is better spent looking for a another machine.
    Aj

Jointers with the half wedge cast into the table are usually assembled and ground after assembly. The industrial wedgebed jointers had the tables bolted to the wedges and they can be repaired and shimmed. These not so much. i'm with Andrew on this. Dave

Ethan, I'm not sure where you're located but heres a great deal on a Delta DJ20 and a Delta Unisaw for $1500 for the pair, looks to be in good shape too. Located in Preston Idaho, probably a 2 hour drive north of Salt Lake City...
    https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/52931505