Thread: Turning tools question

Turning tools question

This is my first post after lurking for quite some time. Have recently acquired a lathe (Delta 46-111). Just need to start learning, although not a lot of time for it right now. My question is this: The tool which I got with the lathe have a bevel much sharper than 45 deg., possibly 60 or 75. This seems to be how they were originally, though of course I can't be sure of that. This bevel angle certainly doesn't jive with what I'm seeing regarding the "A, B, C" guideline for turning (I have books, and looking at several forums). Do I need to re-grind these tools? Thanks
    Doug

Can you post a photo?

My first thought was a skew and Yes. On second thought, maybe it's a scraper and OK as it is. (And etc.)

I am with david without a picture we have no idea what tool it is could be a bowl gouge spindle ,scraper parting tool they all have different bevels thing to do is find a wood turning club near you hey can help you get started look on the aaw website they have all clubs listed

https://www.woodturner.org

When you mentioned the ABC's of wood turning, I immediately thought of:
    A - anchor the tool to the rest
    B - ride the bevel against the wood (no cutting) and then start to find where it just starts cutting
    C - raise the rear of the tool handle and start cutting

Spindle roughing gouges are sometimes ground very blunt like that as well as scrapers. Also many turners make a bottom feeder out of a bowl gouge and has a very blunt grind. A photo would definitely help us.

Thanks for quick replies. I am having trouble getting photos from my phone, will need to try tomorrow. An error in my original post left an "s" off "tools". All my tools are ground with the same bevel. I have had very limited time to work with it, but it is quite obvious that I cannot start with the bevel on the wood and then lower edge to begin cutting as I am seeing in most instructions. May very well be I am not understanding this properly. I have turned two small spindles from square to round, simply haven't had time to work on it much at all. Not able at this time to join a club, I have a friend who may help me. I have certainly seen that there is a wealth of info and experience on this site, and will continue to absorb all I can, and begin to start making some shavings.

I have a lot of videos on tool.usage and sharpening. Go to youtube and type in john60lucas and you should find them.

Thank you very much John, I will do that.

20180725_210326.jpg20180720_205843_resized.jpg20180725_210353.jpg
    Finally had time to upload pics of my lathe tools. Sorry not very good quality. The set includes 3/8, 1/2, and 3/4 spindle gouge; 1/2 & 1" skew; parting tool; 1/2" round nose and v-point. Bevel on all tools (except p.t.) is about 65 degrees. The tools are marked "Rockwell #121 thru 128" made in usa".
    I have had virtually no time to begin practicing, right now I'm just trying to figure out this bevel angle. Several have suggested joining a club, but I am too far away, and simply don't have time. At this point I'm not even sure what role the lathe will play in my woodworking. I do appreciate all the responses very much, and I am watching some of the suggested videos.
    I would also appreciate if someone can tell me how to determine if these tools are HSS or carbon steel?
    Thanks
    Doug

Others can probably explain it better but... the tools do look about right. I think you are looking at the reverse angle.
    In Pic 1 the top I would guess at about 40 deg (the reverse 50) and the second about 25-30 deg (the reverse 60-65)
    In the second I would guess about 40 deg included. That means the cutting edge is 40 so each side is 20 deg. (the reverse would be 70 deg each side).
    They don't say but I would guess this tool in the 70 deg range.
    https://woodturningtoolstore.com/pro...-nose-scraper/
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Wisecup View Post
    I would also appreciate if someone can tell me how to determine if these tools are HSS or carbon steel?
    I don't know if there is a better way but the spark test might tell. I use it mostly to distinguish between mild steel and true wrought iron.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spark_testing

In my experience HSS lathe tools are usually marked as such. If not, I assume they are tool steel and grind accordingly, avoiding heating and "blueing" the edge which destroys the hardness.

It's always best to test unknown tools with the file test to see if they are hardened properly. (Try filing the shaft with a small triangular file - if it skids without cutting the steel is hardened at that point.) I collect old tools to loan or give away and some are not hardened, some are hardened for just a couple of inches or less, and some are hardened all the way down the shaft.

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 07-27-2018 at 12:44 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mills View Post
    They don't say but I would guess this tool in the 70 deg range.
    https://woodturningtoolstore.com/pro...-nose-scraper/
    Mike, they do state or say it in a couple of different ways, one by stating that it's M42 steel, and then other farther down in the description they state that M42 high speed steel makes the cut. Most people recognize M42 steel, as a high speed steel by the M42 designation. I'm not trying to start anything by correcting you, but I thought you might want to go back and read the whole description of the tool.
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by Len Mullin View Post
    Mike, they do state or say it in a couple of different ways, one by stating that it's M42 steel, and then other farther down in the description they state that M42 high speed steel makes the cut. Most people recognize M42 steel, as a high speed steel by the M42 designation. I'm not trying to start anything by correcting you, but I thought you might want to go back and read the whole description of the tool.
    Len
    Pretty sure he was taking angle not steel. They don't say the bevel angle.

Thanks guys, appreciate your help!