Thread: West Systems Epoxy Help...

West Systems Epoxy Help...

I have some of the 105 resin and used it a couple of time on rocking chairs. Thing is, I used the 206, slow hardener, that really was slow...like overnight slow. I want to be able to use the epoxy more for regular stuff, but overnight cures just aren't practical. For those of you who use WS Epoxy, how do you use it and what hardener do you use?

I always use the fast hardner
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Try the 205 hardener. It’s hard in 4-5 hours in our shop.

Agreed. make sure the humidity is low also. 205 is much quicker.

Thanks for the help. I'll try the 205. I was hoping for something faster, but when needed, epoxy is great and I guess I'll have to be a little more patient.

Warm it up and you'll be amazed how fast it goes-- if you mix up a quart or so in a deep container it will be hard (and smoking hot) before you turn around. Unfortunately I know this from experience. OTOH, with the slow or extra slow in cooler weather there's plenty of time to clamp bent laminations, which can be a real benefit. 205 is what I use 80% of the time.

i second roger's comments - it depends on what i'm doing. if i need significant open time (as with a bent lamination), i use the slow, even though... it's slow. the fast can set up a little quickly if you mix a lot and deal with the exothermic heat of the mixed product.

There's always something to do while the glue is curing. 205 is slow enough for my purposes as long as I put it in a shallow tray to avoid premature kickoff. Once it is spread in a thin film I can count on close to an hour of open time at normal temps. If the assembly is unstressed , 4-6 hours depending on ambient temperature is enough to resist denting with a thumbnail and the clamps can come off. If you need faster turnaround, warm the assembly with an electric blanket or similar. Be careful with heating the mixed epoxy in a mass, it can turn into a dumpster fire in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Warm it up and you'll be amazed how fast it goes--
    "Been There Done That"

I was working on project during the winter & I set a container mixed with 205 on top of a work van that was about 6' from my garage heater. I wasn't trying to get it to set faster, I just thought the heat would help soften/thin the mix somewhat so it would apply better.
    Probably not more than 10 minutes later & the container was literally smoking

Doug

When I have to mix up a fairly large batch of epoxy, I try to put it in a flat container and then set the container on ice cubes. I had a container of mixed epoxy "go off" on me one time and learned to keep the epoxy cool.

The flat container is to increase the ice contact area and allow the heat generated by the epoxy chemical reaction to be quickly dissipated into the ice.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

When I do a project that has a long assembly time or needs a large quantity I will mix several small batches rather than one big one ,and like Mike I pour it into a shallow tray to extend the pot life. I haven't had to use ice, but that can certainly help.