Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed on which Hammer K3 to get

Rod,

I am ordering the outrigger and mitre index system. I will have to leave it off the saw most of the time due to its size, but I know it will come in handy for those larger pieces.

I did order the mobility kit. I already have the lifting bar from when I got my A3-31, so I just need the wheels on the K3. I don't plan on moving the saw regularly, but I want wheels on there for when I do need to move it!

Steve
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Steve, I kept the outrigger off my slider for a long time because it made things uncomfortable sometimes. Once I shortened the right-side table by 16", I was able to leave it on most of the time for convenience (it holds a lot of stuff. LOL) but still occasionally remove it when I have a large job in the assembly and/or finishing process. Fortunately, these things are designed to easily come off and go back on without messing up the setup for square, etc. The biggest hassle is storing the outrigger because of the long "foot".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Because of the discount prices they're offering right now, the 79x48 is actually a few hundred bucks cheaper than the 48x48 after I add the outrigger, etc. to the latter. If only I had the room for the larger saw!

Make it fit!!!!
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Make it fit!!!!
    I'm seriously thinking about how I would get the larger saw to fit! Man, this decision just got harder!

For what little it is worth, I've got sliders from 18" to 10' and the 80" is my least favorite size. Too short for long stuff and too long for short stuff. You can modify your methods but if you are pushing for space, a slider short enough for the table to rest flush with the fixed front of the saw is a handy compromise. My 80" slider gets use but the short stroke machines get far more. The 10' kind of does it all but it takes up so much room it is in another building. Dave

Ill add to what David says. I have an 80" Felder KF700, and while I like the extra stroke over a 48-49" saw, i would strongly dislike it as my sole saw. A 10' stroke would cover 99% of my ripping needs off the wagon. An 80" stroke does not, and even worse, the footprint of the saw turns it into an awkward machine to traditionally use the rip fence. For me, i have a unisaw right next to it as a dedicated ripping saw, but if i didnt, i would somewhat dislike my 80" felder. Atleast with the 48-49" stroke, you have a traditional cabinet saw footprint when the table is locked. Greater than that is when you have to dance around the added support for the longer table carriages. From my standpoint, i rip over 80" somewhat frequently. I rarely crosscut something greater than 48" in width. By the time it gets bigger than 50", im reaching for the festool track. I bought my machine used at a great price, so i didnt mind the shortcomings of a 80" wagon. In the future, i feel like it would have to be 10' or 4', if i could only have one table saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post
    I'm seriously thinking about how I would get the larger saw to fit! Man, this decision just got harder!
    I gotz time available if you want to get a second "totally unbiased" (LOL) opinion on how you might squeeze it in. It's not like you live far away, you know...
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I gotz time available if you want to get a second "totally unbiased" (LOL) opinion on how you might squeeze it in. It's not like you live far away, you know...
    Jim, I'm going to take you up on that. I'll send you a DM.

Not to hijack - has anyone gotten the 79x48 K3 into a basement/ Can the slider be removed for such a move and reattached without "too" much fuss?
    Looking hard at a new TS and the K3 indeed looks like a potential "Winne"r.

Back on topic - agree with Jim, I'd have to make it (larger for less $$) fit. ;-)

Best wishes for a smooth acquisition and many happy years of using it!!

Regards,
    -Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Weaver View Post
    Not to hijack - has anyone gotten the 79x48 K3 into a basement/ Can the slider be removed for such a move and reattached without "too" much fuss?
    Looking hard at a new TS and the K3 indeed looks like a potential "Winne"r.
    My K3 is going to go into my basement, but I'm hoping to not remove the slider. I put an A3-31 down there 2 years ago, via a Bilco door. It was a bit of a pain, with me building a ramp and sliding the unit on its pallet down there by connecting straps to a pickup and slowly driving it down. I'll probably do something very similar for the K3.

I know Rod Sheridan moved his B3 into his basement by building a cool looking contraption. Rod, do you have any more detail on the thing you built for that?

Thanks,
    Steve

As an aside does anyone find it odd to see pictures of Derek's shop filled with machines? For me it is kinda like finding out a friend is cheating on his wife. Not that I see anything wrong with cheating in this sort of case, my hand tools and I have an open relationship, or I guess it is more like a 3-way marriage what do the "kids" call it now? A throuple?
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I’m in a basement, but it has a door on grade. When you break the machine down to the main table/chassis and slider carriage, it’s like 32.75” wide. It barely fit through my man door. It’s also an enormous PITA to take the machine apart and put it back together.

Sounds like you have everything considered Steve.

Don't forget to make a Fritz und Franz and a deflector wedge.

Cutting small pieces.jpgDeflector in use.jpgVisio-Tablesaw deflector wedge drawing.pdf

Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Sounds like you have everything considered Steve.

Don't forget to make a Fritz und Franz and a deflector wedge.

Regards, Rod.
    Oh, those are totally on my list of jigs to make. Thanks for the plans for the deflector wedge!