Thread: Buy a 16" South Bend metal lathe to refurbish?

Buy a 16" South Bend metal lathe to refurbish?

There is a 16 inch south bend metal lathe on the local Facebook marketplace. It is slightly rusty. What would be a reasonable price to refurbish it?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric C Stoltzfus View Post
    There is a 16 inch south bend metal lathe on the local Facebook marketplace. It is slightly rusty. What would be a reasonable price to refurbish it?
    16 Inch is pretty large for a home shop and most of the slightly rusted ones on our local Craigslist are junk, priced higher than new. I have seen some that have set outside or in a barn with lots of missing parts priced sky high. If it looks like more than just a little surface rust on say the ways, and missing any parts at all its not worth messing with, expensive to buy parts for and hard to find now a days. Look for one that someone has used and taken care of, tail stock is there, all the handles on and not broken. I restored a running SB Heavy 10 and it was just wear, no rust but I was lucky to get most of my money out when I sold it.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

There is a nice Jet 9x20 metal lathe with OEM stand here on Des Moines Craigslist for sale. I would purchase it in a heart beat but I already downsized to a Sieg C3 7x14 lathe and really don't need a larger one. The Jet is priced at $800 cash and he says its 3 years old.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10