Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any motorcycle commuters here?

Any motorcycle commuters here?

I知 set to get my motorcycle license in a couple weeks and a new bike shortly thereafter. Just for reference, I知 curious if anyone has recommendations or experiences they壇 like to share with a new rider?

all of my hot rodding is out of my system and I知 awfully conservative nowadays so I won稚 be popping wheelies or riding 100mph, splitting lanes. I知 just looking forward to cruising down the highway and doing my short errands on a vehicle that gets 50+ mpg and is fun.

im looking very seriously at the Kawasaki Versys 650, if anyone has comments about that specific bike, I壇 love to hear it.

Head on a swivel, and never assume anyone can see you--look out for #1. Take a safety class if you haven't already. Be careful out there--many more people on cellphones and texting than when I started riding 25 years ago.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Watch out for other drivers around you. Stay clear of semi's. The wind from their trailers can suck you into them. Assume that NO ONE can see you.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I know several folks who commute using motorcycles during nicer weather. The comments above are spot-on about being very careful of distracted drivers...even folks who are not distracted sometimes don't see motorcycles all that well. Consider wearing something "really visible" instead of the more traditional black, too. This is not a time to be shy and blend into the background!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Balzonia View Post
    im looking very seriously at the Kawasaki Versys 650, if anyone has comments about that specific bike, I’d love to hear it.
    Nice bike, one piece of advice if you're buying new, I'd recommend splurging on OEM panniers or top case. These can all be keyed by Kawasaki to match the ignition one, think there's a helmet lock that works with the system as well.

That's a fine bike for local commuting. Any metric bike is likely to be dependable and a 650-750 size is a great choice for in town and even short highway trips. Even two up, but just FYI lots of folks soon crave something larger. I agree it's a dangerous world out there for bikers. To help with visibility I recommend a headlight modulator. Easy to install. Another easy mod is a brake light flasher that strobes the brake light for a short while when brakes are applied. It requires LED's in the brake light circuit but lots of kits are available. Both mods make you more visible. I'm guessing new bikes come with self cancelling turn signals but if yours does not have that feature it can be added after market as well. Of course helmet (at least) at all times. Modified to add that motorcycle horns are generally worthless and I recommend replacement. I use a Wolo Bad Boy that's pretty loud but some add car horns or air horns. I'm not bashful about giving a quick beep if I'm approaching an intersection and unsure if drivers see me. Be safe.
    Last edited by Michael Weber; 07-20-2018 at 11:52 AM.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Great suggestions by all. After you start riding, begin by practicing control and braking on deserted back roads; those with little traffic. I had been away from riding for over 20 years and got back in around 2013. All of my riding was on these back roads for several months before getting comfortable on streets with more traffic. Cautiously comfortable; there are some mud brains out there.
    And don't forget ear protection; from wind noise, not the motor, unless you are riding a 2 stroke.

Hi, sounds like a good bike.

I've ridden more than 1,000,000 kilometres, most of it on 2 BMW's.

I have a 1976 R90/6 with 500,000Km on it, and a 2013 F700GS.

My first recommendation is a full face helmet, gloves, boots and a proper riding suit, I have the 2 piece Darien, it's very weather proof. I don't need the liner until maybe 5C.

Wear this every time you ride, my darien is Hi Viz yellow, as are my tank bags and tank panniers. I also ride with earplugs, improves my hearing on the bike, reduces rider fatigue.

Factory luggage is nice, I have it on my 2 BMW's, as well as a tank bag and tank panniers for trips.

Don't forget to take a refresher course every 5 years maximum, as a former riding instructor I know how fast my skills deteriorate........Welcome to the riding club.

The size of bike you're looking at is great for around town or across country. Most of my riding has been on bikes of 60HP or less, and I've been through all 3 countries in North America.

This may be a bit controversial, but I've been riding for 40 years, and:

If you're driving a QUIET bike, prepare to defend your life in the form of dodging cars moving into your lane while you're in it, nearly every other time you ride. Doesn't matter how big the bike is either.
    How my '84 Aspencade can be completely invisible to people in cars is a total mystery...
    gw1.JPG
    --but it is!

But, if you're driving something akin to a LOUD straight-piped Harley, You Will Be Safer.
    I've owned this '75 Sporty since 1992--
    ad3.jpg
    and I can't remember one time that a car ever changed lanes into me. The ONLY close call I've ever had on this bike was some lady who almost ran into the back of me at the bottom of a cloverleaf off-ramp. But I did see her coming in the mirrors...

That's my 2c on one way to stay safe Aside from that, keep eagle eyes on everyone around you at all times, and always leave yourself an OUT.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Kev Williams; 07-20-2018 at 9:05 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

All good suggestions. I've been riding for over 50 years I'm creeping up on 2 million miles on a bike.
    Keep a sharp eye out for people making left turns in front of you, watch those intersections, its one of the biggest accident cause's of all bike car accidents, and they always say I DIDN'T SEE HIM!!
    Also I found one of the hardest things to learn when cornering is look way out in front of you, not at the road directly in frt of you but look around the curve. The bike will follow your eyes, and don't panic if you think your not gonna make it lean into it and DON"T hit the brakes. Hitting the brakes makes the bike stand up and you go right off the road. The bike will hold the road unless your really going insanely to fast.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

A Harley rider chimeing in here. Riding since '71, almost everywhere in the world except South America and Asia.
    All the above great suggestions.
    Here, you cannot get a license without an approved rider course (I'm grandfathered thank the deity). Take a riders course. Also, get into an advanced rider low speed handling course - search engine for one in your area.
    Im 73 and I just cannot stop riding. Have fun.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

While riding in the right lane of a 4 lane road, stay in the left portion of the road. If you are in the left lane stsy in the right portion of the road, you aremore visable to drivers and have room to manuver if needed.
    Never ride in the center of any lane, thats where the cars drop oil onto the road.
    When coming to an intersection that has a vehicle waiting to go, glance to see where the driver is looking, and watch for movement of the front wheels. That will tell you if they are moving.

I used to, but not for years. It was great fun and fuel costs were so cheap.

If new to motorcycles, practice practice practice. Take the bike to a big empty parking lot and practice starting/stopping, pretending to pull out onto a road while turning both ways, accelerating/braking, gentle and hard braking in a curve, emergency stops, sudden swerves. Take someone with you to help pick up a heavy bike when it falls over (I've seen it happen). Practice on roads with almost no traffic. Practice staying exactly where you want in a lane during a curve, especially one with a tightening curvature (spiral). I've watched beginners run off or nearly run off the road on such curves before they learned to anticipate and control.

If your state doesn't require a helmet, wear one anyway.

I rode in all seasons and weather. In the winter, good clothing is essential, gauntlet gloves for the hands.

A heavy leather jacket saved my skin once on a slide on pavement. (wet spot on tight curve, sun in the eyes but that was no excuse)

I always drove road bikes as if I were invisible. I EXPECTED trucks to pull into my lane and was always ready for it. I expected cars to pull out in front of me and people to step off the curb even in the middle of the block.

Be oh so careful, every second. An emergency room doctor friend told too many stories. At some point I discovered enduro and dirt bikes and gave up the road lottery.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    I have that bike! Rode it from Utah to Indiana and back last summer!

Agreed with the:

- safety course
    - parking lots
    - rural roads
    - full synthetic gear is nice (breathable outer plus rain proof / warmer removable inside)
    - full face helmet
    - panniers are sweet (grocery shopping is more fun)
    - don't put armorall tire shine chemical on your tires. It's slippery.
    - buy tires online to save money

Have fun. Great hobby. Learn wheelies. Buy a track only sport bike and do track days.

: )

Don't buy in to that "loud pipes save lives" crap. Loud pipes are illegal and extenuate the bad biker image. Just sayin...........
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.