Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Setting pins on gauge wider than chisel??

Seriously? Why does Paul need to remind people that he is a seasoned professional? This is YouTube! It's 100 million videos of somebody's first time doing something, 200 million videos of hacks doing something wrong, and 2 videos of a professional doing things the professional way...

And any time a professional posts a professional method - all the hacks and amateurs who have never even done it once swoop down to complain and poo all over it...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    [edit]
    And any time a professional posts a professional method - all the hacks and amateurs who have never even done it once swoop down to complain and poo all over it...
    Welcome to the internet where no one knows if you are a dog.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

"In general you want to think about what you are doing, rather than just collect rules to follow." by Warren Mickley

Best advice I've seen in a long time. Feel free to come up with your own method that works for you.

Simon - feel free to not reply to my questions. You’re too experienced for me. I’m probably not worthy of your wisdom.

And regarding the comment about not just collecting rules but rather thinking. This is condescending and presumptive. There is nothing wrong with a beginner learning some rules of thumb.

There are some real jacks on this board.

Thanks to those of you who answered the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Terndrup View Post
    Simon - feel free to not reply to my questions. You’re too experienced for me. I’m probably not worthy of your wisdom.

I was not the one who talked about following rules and have no clues which of my comments or why you feel upset about. You sure you are targeting the right person?

But for the record, I agree with Warren's advice that one needs to understand the rules and apply the rules with judgment.

Simon

Blog Entries

And regarding the comment about not just collecting rules but rather thinking. This is condescending and presumptive. There is nothing wrong with a beginner learning some rules of thumb.

Warren’s giving you genuine advice in his comment. It’s not malicious, rather it is a very thoughtful comment that while blunt is far more helpful than providing a rule of thumb.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 07-21-2018 at 8:09 AM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Thats a great video series. Lots of practical methods and well explained. He states, at around 2 min mark of tape 3, to have the chisel "just fit or slip" between the pin tips. I suppose this is a hair oversize, but this is really inconsequential in the end. Dont stray outside the gage lines when chopping. He does mention "doing some fetteling" to finish off the mortice at the end of this tape. I suppose that might mean or include paring to the gage lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Warren’s giving you genuine advice in his comment. It’s not malicious, rather it is a very thoughtful comment that while blunt is far more helpful than providing a rule of thumb.
    Nope, disagree

Ya, I have really enjoyed watching Paul’s vids. He seems like a stand up guy, with a lot to share, for the right reasons.

While setting my mortising gauge to the width of my chisel, it occurred to me that I didn't really need two lines. I now just use a regular marking gauge and score one line, then use that line to guide my chisel. The chisel determines the width and does the rest. Keep it simple. What ever works do it. Bob
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Nope, disagree
    Brian is correct. There are some jerks on the board, but I don’t count Warren among them. He gave you two specific examples of why you want to think through what you are doing instead of simply applying a rule of thumb.

Hand tools are different from power tools. Running a board over a powered jointer a few times might get it flat. Running a hand plane over a board a few times will only get it flat if you are thinking about what you are doing.

Blog Entries

When you ask a question about woodworking in a public forum you should be ready to receive and accept many different answers.

There isn't a single task in woodworking, to my knowledge, that can be done only one way.

For some reason this reminds me of a scene from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. In prelude to a knife fight Butch Cassidy says, "let's go over the rules." His opponent is outraged and yells, "rules in a knife fight! There are no rules in a knife fight." Then Butch swift kicks him below the belt.

So for the sake of civility, when you ask a question and another person with years of knowledge offers an answer you do not like, don't kick back below the belt.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Ever stop to consider...that there are some out there...that do not even USE a gauge.....and do just fine. Others view a gauge as a crutch, and can not do a thing without it...

Have seen more than a few benches out there.....some with maybe a dozen gauges in use at once.....others? Not a one to be seen.....

Myself? I cut the tenons first....then lay out each mortise to fit each tenon.....pencil to mark it out, leave the lines....simple as can be.

Main rule in the Dungeon Shop? K. I. S. S. Soooo...... YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Myself? I cut the tenons first....then lay out each mortise to fit each tenon.....pencil to mark it out, leave the lines....simple as can be.
    I only know of two fellas in person who do M&T the way you do: tenons first, one using power tools only (tablesaw and mortiser). The traditional guy uses a guide block for chopping his mortises, not freehand though (like using a dovetail guide to saw dovetails). I suppose you guys are qualified to call yours a T&M joint.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 07-21-2018 at 1:38 PM.

stretcher mortise.jpg
    Eeeehhhh, could be...
    dry fit,again.jpg
    Maybe...
    IMG_0685 (640x480).jpg
    Ya think?