Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would you make a basketball backboard?

How would you make a basketball backboard?

My neighbor asked for help with this. It will be a replacement for an existing backboard which has seen better days. Would you use plywood with edge binding, a solid wood glue up, something else? What type of wood, glue and finish? He wants it painted white, preferably with something that will take latex paint so he can paint it to match the house.

Most are made from fiberglass if I remember correctly. However, I would uses 1/2" ply on the front, then build a box around edges and fill with foam and then 1/2" or 1/4" for the back depending on mounting method. You could look at DIY Lacrosse Rebounder on YouTube.

Do you have a local supplier for MDO? In the day, 'twas used for many exterior applications including street signs, boat seats, etc.

+1 on the signboard. I would double or triple up on it for a more solid feel and secure rim attachment.

When I was a kid my Dad and I built a basketball backboard out of 1 1/2'' t+g fir. It was solid and lasted for years until the tree we installed it on blew over. Not sure what your requirements are ,but if solid is one use 1'' plywood. Mike.

That's why I love this forum. I'd never heard of MDO plywood, it sounds perfect, and we have local suppliers. Any issues with cutting it? I have a table saw and an 18" bandsaw, any problem with using standard woodworking blades?

Blog Entries
    I suspect that vineer core plywood would warp and may de-laminate.

the MDO is a great product ,but expensive. You can take ordinary ply wood ,use Titebond 2 to glue on light canvas,then paint it. An old treatment that still works. If the edges are covered ,too;it will serve as well as the MDO.

MDO is designed for outdoor use and is available in various thicknesses from a quality sheet goods provider. It already has a smooth surface ready for paint (it's typically used for painted signage). While it's not "inexpensive", it's not that horrible, either, considering it's ready to use and made for outdoor, weathering situations.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

It's several times the price of construction plywood. Individuals not in the sign business are often charged a higher price
    than regular customers. The ply wood must have the cloth treatment on the edges, MDO painted edges will last a long time but eventually deteriorate . What happens is the wood itself (the plys) split ,rather than the glue coming loose.

We used 3/4" MDO for the sides of a utility trailer. Don't recall the cost but it has worked well for exterior use. We edge banded the bottom--water exposed edge-- with Ipe and marine urethane adhesive. Front side is laminated with weather resitant resin paper and back is regular untreated ply--maybe fir. I would use two layers glueing wood lam surfaces together with resin surfaces exposed and band with weather resistant solid wood. Not sure of bounce characteristics but would be more solid than the fiberglass version. Of course a nice peach basket would look good for the hoop!

Quote Originally Posted by John C Bush View Post
    We used 3/4" MDO for the sides of a utility trailer. Don't recall the cost but it has worked well for exterior use. We edge banded the bottom--water exposed edge-- with Ipe and marine urethane adhesive. Front side is laminated with weather resitant resin paper and back is regular untreated ply--maybe fir. I would use two layers glueing wood lam surfaces together with resin surfaces exposed and band with weather resistant solid wood. Not sure of bounce characteristics but would be more solid than the fiberglass version. Of course a nice peach basket would look good for the hoop!
    Good point. I'm not sure what the proper bounce characteristics/flexibility should be for an official NBA version, or how to describe or measure such a thing, though it would seem stiffer would be better, up to a point (insert joke here ) (glass and fiberglass don't flex much). OTOH the current version has an odd concave (actually more a potato chip shape) that gives a distinct home court advantage. Something that is flat and reacts somewhat predictably would be a great improvement

Walmart has a 44" "lifetime" backboard - complete with rim - for $63.

I only mention that because it's way cheaper than a single sheet of MDO would be - around my parts. YMMV...
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 07-20-2018 at 4:54 AM.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

I would just buy one off Craigslist or Facebook marketplace.

Before asking how, one must ask should.