Thread: SuperMax 25-50 Sandpaper Strips

SuperMax 25-50 Sandpaper Strips

I just ordered the 25-50 and am in the midst of the long wait for shipment (early September). However, that gives me time to make room and purchase supplies. Also, make up a story about what’s in the boxes when my wife asks.

Does anyone know the actual dimensions of the pre-cut strips that are sold for this machine as I plan to cut my own. I’ve read that they are the standard 3” width, but I have no idea on the length. A call to customer service and a Facebook message to them just led to them informing me that they offer pre-cut strips as if I was completely unaware of that. No one knew how long they were and apparently there are no tape measures in the facility. Haha.

Also, what is a good brand or site to buy from? I’ve looked at Klingspor and Online Industrial Supply, both of which sold 50 meter rolls. I really just want the best bang for my buck. Not necessarily the cheapest, because I’ve been down that road. I’m more interested in quality rolls that will hold up and perform well. I would prefer longevity over a trash can full of worn paper. Klingspor sold a 50 meter roll for around $90, the other site was around $70. Any testement to quality and longevity? And any other recommendations based on experience?

Thanks in advance.

Casey

Sorry, I don't know the length you'll need, but I've used the bulk rolls from both Klingspor and Industrial Abrasives. I prefer Klingspor.

This is purely anecdotal, and I haven't bought a lot from either place, but in my limited experience the Klingspor seemed to have a more uniform grit surface. Haven't noticed a difference in longevity between the two.

Blog Entries
    Abrasive quality comes even more to the forefront when talking about machines. A drum sander is no place for bargain paper, its a complete waste of money IMHO. Precut strips for that machine state that they are 139.25 inches in length. I would look at Klingspor and at Industrial Abrasives as a supplier. IA offers 3" x 35' in 80 grit for under $20 which would get you three strips.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-19-2018 at 6:34 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

In addition to length, there is a taper at either end that you'll need to replicate. I just use the strip that came on my machine as a template for self-cut strips. You could cut strips to length before the machine arrives and cut the taper later if you're anxious to get started.I purchase bulk rolls from Klingspor. Very pleased with the quality.

This is what I buy. I just stick with 120 grit.
    https://www.industrialabrasives.com/...heq7dvpdvpa1g2

Thank you folks. Those were the two websites I consistently saw popping up. I’ll probably give them both a try. The 139.25” in length, I couldn’t find that info anywhere. Thank you for that. I just want to be able to figure up how many strips per roll so I can calculate the savings. Make sure it’s worth it. And using the included strip as a template will work perfectly. Good advise and info all around.

Thanks again everyone.

I have the SupermaX 25" fixed end drum sander and my last paper buy was from Online industries. Price was lower than Klingspoor but the 150, 120, and 100 grits I bought seem to leave a more grooved surface than other brands I've used. Your machine will likely come with a couple of pre-cut samples and they will work for templates. Other bulk rolls I've had have color coded premarked cut lines on the back for the various drum sizes but I still use a template. Be sure to get a big rubber eraser to clean the paper every few passes. When a burn line begins to build up I use a brass or some type of softer wire brush to "srub" off the gunk. Paper can last a lot longer that way. Since I am a cheapo I reverse the paper as it begins to wear and I have convinced myself I get more use out of the paper. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by John C Bush View Post
    I have the SupermaX 25" fixed end drum sander and my last paper buy was from Online industries. Price was lower than Klingspoor but the 150, 120, and 100 grits I bought seem to leave a more grooved surface than other brands I've used. Your machine will likely come with a couple of pre-cut samples and they will work for templates. Other bulk rolls I've had have color coded premarked cut lines on the back for the various drum sizes but I still use a template. Be sure to get a big rubber eraser to clean the paper every few passes. When a burn line begins to build up I use a brass or some type of softer wire brush to "srub" off the gunk. Paper can last a lot longer that way. Since I am a cheapo I reverse the paper as it begins to wear and I have convinced myself I get more use out of the paper. Good luck.
    I also plan to extract maximum life out of the strips I cut. I was planning on purchasing 60 (or 80), 120, 220, and 320 with hopes I can get close to a finished surface. Does this seem reasonable? Recommendations welcome! I have have a 3 year old and a baby, so my shop time has become limited. And I feel like I spend most of what little time I have standing in one spot prepping with a RO sander. Projects take me FOREVER!

Also, what length roll do you usually buy, and how many strips do you get out of it? I was planning on buying 50m. Is that overkill?

I find that anything over 120 clogs/burns too fast and is a PITA. Nothing coming off a drum sander is finish ready in my opinion. You will have sanding lines and need a ROS.

+1 with Carey,
    60 grit if you need to flatten rough stock wider than your planer. I built a torsion box sled and use wedges and hot glue to level and secure slabs to flatten one side or sand a tapered panel. Both 60 and 80 leave a rough surface and it just takes more time sanding with finer grits to get rid of the scratches. 120 for softer stock and 150 for hard. It's faster with a ROS to finish beyond that. I bought a roll of 220 years ago and rarely use it now. You will find that patience is a virtue when drum sanding and a few spring cuts/passes to finish leaves a nice(r) surface.

Also wrap the paper as tight as possible and then check and tighten after the first board or two. Paper getting a little loose and overlapping at the edges destroys it quickly. 150 is the finest I used but 60-120 is really the range that works best. A single point sander is not very agressive so it is mainly for cleaning up after the planer and 120-150 works best for that. Light passes are very important. A tad heavy and you will get a burn line quickly. Dave

A drum sander is really more for getting rid of machine marks and for bringing stock to final dimensions than it is for finishing prep. I never go above 150 on mine and even then rarely above 120. Using the RO is always necessary before applying finish. If you're tired of your RO (and who isn't?) maybe try scraping some of your parts.

Light passes are key, as others have said, and definitely get a big crepe rubber cleaner to run through the machine pretty regularly, like this one.

Best of luck.

Blog Entries
    For a different view; I use a wide variety of grits. Nothing that comes off a machine in my shop is finish ready but, something sanded to 220-320 grit takes a lot less follow up work. Sanding is the creation of abrasion marks. The idea is to get them small enough to be what we call smooth in furniture making. The Supermax is so easy to change paper on that I step through the grits on it and do just a little follow up prep. We all have differing methods and one is not necessarily better or worse for everyone but, one is often better for someone . The sharing of these different ideas, opinions and experiences is what adds value to the forum.

Easy organization:

19-38-stand(tip).jpg19-38-stand(14).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I generally use 80 grit for final dimensioning/flattening, also to take care of tear-out left by the planer. After that it's a few brief and very light passes with 100, 150 and 180. IMO, 220 and 320 are a waste of time. Remember, after the 80 grit, you're just sanding deep enough to remove the grooves of the previous grit, so I just lower the drum enough to barely kiss the stock on the way by. Trying to use 120 or finer to remove stock will, indeed, lead quickly to burning.

After 180, I hit it with 150 on the RO sander. Yes, that's going backward, but it removes the grooves left from the 180 very quickly.

Wow! Thank you all for the feedback and info. This is all great advise.. My goal is to shorten my time doing prep work in any way possible, and it sounds like this will help accomplish that one way or another. I knew deep down I would never get away from the RO...but a guy can dream. I’ve tried teaching my 3 year old how to use it, but his arms are too short and his dust mask keeps falling off. Not to mention the popsicle stains all over my stock when he’s finally done. Haha.

I don’t post much on these forums. I’m usually just a reader. But I have to say, the willingness to help from the people on here is amazing. Thank you all for your assistance. I feel bad for not replying sooner, I though my email notifications were turned on. Apparently not.

Thanks again everyone. Even though my wait for the sander will be long, the excitement level is through the roof.