Thread: Bathroom Tile Purchase

Bathroom Tile Purchase

Need to completely remodel our 3/4 master bath. My wife found this tile that she wants in the shower and around the walls like wainscoting. I found the tile at two sources: 1) downtown Chicago 2) FastTile (.com) in FL. Choice (2) is at least half the price of (1) but I've never bought tile from anywhere but a local store. It's about 1000# of tile at around $1500 for the cheaper place! Guess many years ago I never bought tools online either. When I asked about damaged tiles FastTile said inspect the boxes on arrival and reject/note on invoice (guess like you do on large machinery delivery) and if it's damaged internally they will replace it. This second part worries me. Do you think if I use a credit card I'm safe with possible damaged goods?

Thanks,

Mike

I wouldn't purchase tile online. I mean you could inspect, but I am going to guess that it would be wrapped really well and could take you a lot of time to open and inspect every tile. I would probably go to the local place and ask them to match or get real close to the price.

I have a customer that used FastTile, and the order was fine, no more broken tiles than usual. I usually see 3-5 per room.

Thanks for the replies. After further conversation with FastTile I didn’t feel comfortable buying from them. Luckily, after doing a bit of running around we found similar tile locally. Although, we couldn’t find the large 24” x 48” diagonal pattern tiles so needed to make a change.

mike

Huge tile like that will require a perfectly flat subfloor which yours is not. Being off 1/16" in a foot means you will be off by 1/4" at each joint. This also will not work in a shower floor.
    Bill D

I’ve ordered tile online in the past and not had issues. The credit card should protect you. If you can save substantially then go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Huge tile like that will require a perfectly flat subfloor which yours is not. Being off 1/16" in a foot means you will be off by 1/4" at each joint. This also will not work in a shower floor.
    Bill D
    Those monster tiles were going to be used on the shower walls.

We remodeled a bathroom recently and installed a new large shower with tile and stone for seating, ledges, etc. My wife did a lot of research on the types of tile and stone to use and in what part of the shower. I don't remember the details but she said some types are not good. She would have not purchased on-line because she could see the tiles - the local places gave her tile samples to bring home and had large displays to show her what they looked like together.

The most important thing I think was finding an expert installer for the tile (used the Schluter system for sealing and edging) and for the glass doors

Ordering various parts and materials online has been a real money saver for me. Recently purchased $8000 of Ipe from a place in North Carolina. It took a while to pull the trigger but saved just under $1600 and the 8.25 percent sales tax. A couple of decks board that had splits from the shipping straps, called the company and they offered to ship replacements. I just took a refund and purchased replacement locally since I was trying to finish up the project. The credit was on my card three days later. Anyway it is a bit nerve wracking but a lot of money can be saved.