Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stackable/portable jobsite tool storage.

I've been considering this myself --- currently considering:

- Festool 498660 Sys-Roll Systainer Cart
    - Festool 500076 SYS-MFT Tabletop Systainer

and an assortment of Systainers organized by tool / job type to bring that up to a reasonable working height.

It's a big investment though, and I share your concerns about digging through the stack, but I'm hoping that organization will ameliorate that as an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Achilleos View Post
    You are absolutely right it's sad, but many folks that don't know a thing about what they are looking at look at how "accomplished" or "successful" one looks to make their decision on who to hire. Sorry to say it but you, and I are part of the minority Warren.
    There is something to be said about investment. I often tell young guys on the job the story of my first hammer. An older gentleman hired a bunch of us young guys to build chicken houses. For those who don't know chicken houses are quarter mile long barns built in places with no access to electricity, so it's pounding nails all day long. The one requirement for work was that we bring a hammer. So me and the crew stop by a Sears and all purchase hammers. I looked through the offerings and having, some experience with tools, the biggest, solid steel 22 oz framer they had seemed right. I think it cost me about 25 dollars. One of my buds chooses the cheapest thing on the rack labeled "hammer". The rest of the crew all choose some option in between the two.
    When we all show up at the jobsite the next day the boss man spies my thrifty froend's hammer and asks to see it. Mind you, this guy had maws like two well worn catcher's mitts. He takes up the toy of a hammer like he's holding a teacup, pinky out. Immediately he smacks it on a stud, splintering into pieces. He then looks up at my buddy and says, 'Looks like you're not ready for work today." He did, however, get to work that day, schlepping 2x4s all day long.
    I, on the other hand, was sinking 3" nails with a couple of blows by the end of the first day, looking like I actually lnew a thing or two. I learned a lot at that job and was definitely taken underwing.
    24 years later, that hammer is still in my tool bag.

Quote Originally Posted by William Adams View Post

and an assortment of Systainers organized by tool / job type to bring that up to a reasonable working height.

It's a big investment though,
    Amazon.de is your friend.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I'm sure this doesn't fit the original request, but this is my version. My jobsites typically last from a year, to two plus, so portability includes a couple of days of moving in, and out, but I do have everything organized in a "stackable/portable" system. I have somewhere over 120 of these waterproof toolboxes, each in their own cubby, so we can get to whatever we need without searching time.

We might be doing stonework for six months before we get to woodwork, but any tool, of any type, waits patiently until it needs to be called on with no worry of rust. That's my jobsite tablesaw in the foreground.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sortimo (Bosch) does hardware bins better than the others, although light stuff works well in Tanos drawers if you want to spend big bucks. If you want to get into the big box on bottom, you have to close the lid, push one clip in with each hand and lift the top box off:

This issue has been solved with the new sortimo boxes now released in Europe. Nicknamed “stealth” - you can now open any box in the stack without removing those above. They are backward compatible with current models except for the mid stack opening feature. Meaning an old style box placed below a stealth box will still not be able to be opened without removing the boxes above.

I have not heard whether (or if) Bosch will be bringing these to the U.S. I will assume so, since at some point production of the old style will cease by Sortimo and current inventory will be depleted. Bosch USA is mum about the whole thing.

I know of 6 systems out there, available in the USA. They can be broken down into two broad categories. Category 1 is "designed for CONSTRUCTION, i.e. the carpenter", Category 2 is "designed for CABINET MAKER". The essential difference is how robust they are, and whether or not they are watertight. Cat 1 are the ones that you can toss into the back of your uncovered pickup and drive through a tropical storm.

The easiest to find of Cat 1 and most modest in price is the Rigid system, available at Home Depot. It's also the most limited.
    The other two Cat 1 systems are the DeWalt Toughsystem and the Milwaukee Packout. Choose based on the features you need.

Category 2 also has 3 systems available. The least expensive of the 3 is the DeWalt T-Stak. It's also the easiest to find locally. Then there's the Tanos Systainers (Festool, Tanos, Mirka, Makita and others) and the Bosch L-Boxx.

I have boxes from 4 of the 6. I don't have any Packout or T-Stak. The use of modular systems is big in Europe, so I'd suggest crawling YouTube to see what installers there have adopted. Keep in mind the transport of the boxes from vehicle to worksite. Each system has integrated options, or you can roll your own.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I was able to visit a couple stores this week where I was able to get hands on with Milaukee's Packout, Dewalt's Toughsystem and versions from Rigid, Stanley, Husky and a couple others. Packout had the sturdiest system, hands down. LOML was with and every brand we'd pick up and look at she'd say "you won't be happy with that", until we got to the Packout. I really like that the Toughsystem boxes could be removed from the proprietary handtruck individually, but that was the only redeeming quality of that system. No Sortimo/L-Boxx without driving less than 4 hrs one way, so...

I'm still undecided but a whole bunch of stuff got eliminated this week. I'm not opposed to mixing brands either. Perhaps I could have an easily moveable stack of Packout and another easily moving stack of what I already have some of, Tanos/Systainer. Might get the best of both worlds that way. I'm in no hurry and it's fun doing the research and hearing about others experiences!

Thank you all!

Peter Millard did an episode on how he organises his installation kit in Systainers. Some good ideas there.

Dictum also has some really nice inserts which look to be an improvement on the Festool SYS-HWZ system.

https://www.dictum.com/de/werkzeugsaetze-baod

Think long and hard about how you will access storage boxes in a stack. It is time consuming and irritating trying to do so if you have to remove the upper boxes. This is my personal pet peeve with stacks of Festool/Tanos boxes in a shop. Yes they are handy for traveling and storing tools in an organized way but once you need to get that power tool out of a heavy stack you will likely loose patience with it. The only boxes Tanos and Festool offer of use to me are the ones with the larger drawers and I have 2 of them for my jigsaws and other items.

I wish that Tanos/Festool would offer the large boxes with the guts being all 1 drawer so that the stack can stay intact even with heavy items yet still offer full access to the contents. Would cost more as more plastic involved but the usefulness would improve dramatically.

In my shop NONE of my Festool tools reside in the boxes as I want to be able to use it quickly. Everything on shelves.

I put this "system" together over a decade ago and it has served me well. I like that the bags have lots of small part storage and that a tumble or rough treatment can't break a soft bag. IMO, most of the Tanos type systems amount to a stack of boxes without a lot of organizational function.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kuhlman View Post
    Think long and hard about how you will access storage boxes in a stack. It is time consuming and irritating trying to do so if you have to remove the upper boxes.
    I agree Peter, as I said earlier I detest digging for things and for the exact reasons you state. My tool storage in the shop is a rolling tool box that I've modified to fit my needs. Lot's of shallow drawers and just a couple deeper ones that I can place my tooling only 1 layer deep...NO DIGGING! But, it's just not practical, or even possible to get that monster onto a difficult access job site.

The appeal of the Toughsystem, any box could be accessed w/o unstacking, but it is too cheaply built for my tastes. I like the sturdy construction of Milwaukee's Packout, and the wider, longer footprint, but one still has to unstack the stack. And then what do I do with them in the shop? The few systainers I have, that tools came in, sit unused under my outfeed table taking up space because they're just too much hassle in the shop.

The video link johnny means provided was interesting in that for the last couple days I've been wondering why I don't just build my own...I am a cabinet maker after all. What better way to showcase my skills?!?! It could be built with properly sized drawers that don't have to be dug through to find the right tool nor unstacked for access. I'd also been thinking my professionally (that would be me ) built system could simply slide into an existing space next to my workbench for access in the shop. That would eliminate a lot of stacking/unstacking and transferring to/from job site storage. I can think of a ton of possibilities!

Maybe a good wintertime project! Thanks for your input, it reinforces what I've already been pondering.

Boy, you guys put a lot of money in boxes. I'm almost entirely shop-based. I build furniture and cabinets in the shop, and tools have spots in drawers and on shelves. When I work out of the shop, I pull whatever tools I'm going to need, and put them in boxes to carry. The boxes are those $10 plastic totes from any big box store. They're big enough to carry a bunch of stuff. It usually takes two boxes to carry the tools to do an install. When I'm done with the install, I take the tools out and put them back in their locations in the shop. The boxes last perhaps five years; $10 for five years is my kind of economy. A key feature is that they nest together for storage; space efficiency is important in a small shop.

I've been working in a Penthouse office install for the last few weeks. It's been painfully heavy on on-site modification. A good tool organization system is an invaluable way of knowing that I'll be equipped for what ever comes my way. Meanwhile, the tile contractor with his messy totes is asking me for relatively basic tools all day long.