Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stackable/portable jobsite tool storage.

Stackable/portable jobsite tool storage.

I'm looking to organize my cabinet install tools, screws, etc., into one cohesive, easy to move package. There are a lot of choices now a days! I like the choices of Milwaukee's Packout sytem. Dewalt's Toughsystem has the advantage that the stack doesn't have to be unstacked to access any container. Both stack/mount on their own proprietary hand truck, that seems very handy!

I'm curious what other's are using, how well you like it and the advantages or disadvantages of one of these systems.

Not familiar with either one of those, but I got a roll-around tool chest from the orange big box store that I sometimes take on site work.
    If you really want some options, check out the Festool catalog and prepare for some major droolage.

Tanos Systainers. Not inexpensive but a really well designed system. Same setup that Festool uses. Available from Lee Valley and some other suppliers.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Both the Milwaukee and Dewalt are based very loosely on the Tanos Systainer system which Festool and others use in Europe. The Systainer system is by far the most complete and well thought out of any system. The ability to access lower boxes when stacked as well as the stacking/locking and rolling systems all originated with Tanos. I use the Tanos system in my shop (mostly Festool systainers) and have accumulated over 50 of them. I love it.

That said if you or others will abuse the containers then get Milwaukee or Dewalt, they are built in a way to take the abuse of the typical American tradesman.

One other thing is we have seen a lot of these attempts to bring containerized tool systems to the US BUT they have all stayed in infancy or been changed or killed off. So the chances of them continuing and growing for years is pretty low IMO. The Tanos system has been around a long time and has grown and developed constantly. They did switch locking mechnisms but although not 100% backwards compatible new and old does still stack and function.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I've got a dewalt boxes for miscellaneous things and hand tools. They're okay, not stellar though.

I've got a handful of power tools that came in Systainers, the biggest advantage with Tanos is they're all modular and made to work together, which is sweet. The Mafell box stacks on the Mirka, which stacks on the Festool, which stacks on the Lamello, etc.

I think they're horrifically overpriced if you buy just a bare box though. They're nothing special, and not an overly rugged kind of plastic. Though I haven't broken one yet, they seem like the kind of plastic that cracks up pretty easily.

I adopted the Tanos system and like it. As said earlier, it's not inexpensive and the DeWalt and Milwaukee boxes will handle rougher treatment than the Systainers. Since space is at a premium in my shop and I had a few Festools, I just decided to go with that system. The containers are extremely well thought out and versatile. The organization that they have afforded me has been a welcome improvement. Some Kaizen foam from Fastcap that I cut to to fit in the systainers offers an excellent degree of protection to the contents.
    Tanos system 2.jpg

Tanos Stack 1.jpg
    Dick Mahany.

labelled Rubber maid containers, not pretty or fancy like you guys. Good handles they stack and work fine. Had one guy trying to convince me he got more work cause of the festool stuff and the 65k truck. Sad if that is accurate ive always looked at the work.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    labelled Rubber maid containers, not pretty or fancy like you guys. Good handles they stack and work fine. Had one guy trying to convince me he got more work cause of the festool stuff and the 65k truck. Sad if that is accurate ive always looked at the work.
    You are absolutely right it's sad, but many folks that don't know a thing about what they are looking at look at how "accomplished" or "successful" one looks to make their decision on who to hire. Sorry to say it but you, and I are part of the minority Warren.

When my Bosch equipment started shipping in the Sortimo L-Boxx containers, I bought more of the empty Bosch containers for my other tools. With an inexpensive cart and two sets of 3D printed Bosch cleats from an eBay seller, I had a nice cart to use when I'm going from job to job. I thought I would have to strap the boxes down to keep them stable, but they were fine even on the roughest parking lot.

Cart-6 by Mike66GE, on Flickr

Cart-1 by Mike66GE, on Flickr

I put my Wabeco B1230 portable drill stand in one L-Boxx and cut the Sortimo inserts so everything fits. I had to cut 30mm from the solid steel shaft so it would fit diagonally in the box.

Wabeco_B1230-01 by Mike66GE, on Flickr

Wabeco_B1230-02 by Mike66GE, on Flickr

At the time, I didn't have source for Kaizen inserts or anyone who would take the time to cut up full sheets so they could be mailed, but now I do. Brian Way, at Kaizen Inserts makes custom blank inserts for all of the popular system containers. He even sells partial sheets of each thickness if you don't need a full sheet, or box of full sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    Nice Quad receptacle breakout solution on that top box. That's pretty slick.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Nice Quad receptacle breakout solution on that top box. That's pretty slick.
    In Europe Festool makes the Powerhub Systainer but they don't have a US version

51TgufzzdlL._SX450_.jpg

Festool also makes a vacuum in a Systainer

festool_575284_e.jpg

More than one company makes an air compressor in a Systainer

rolair-airstak-systainer-compressor-1.jpg
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Lots of choices and each seems to have big advantages and disadvantages. No universal solution.

The old Festool tools came in the original Tanos systainers and those stacked well and locked together. 4 clips and cussing gets them apart. But they are strong and completely rectangular so have the best use of space. Not so useful that I was tempted to buy more especially at the price.

I then got a few Bosch tools in their L-boxxes, which are actually the Sortimo system who pay royalties to Tanos. My local tools store kept putting them on special so I added a few. Eventually they had a sale and when they had their annual sale put them on blowout at $12-14 depending on size. I bought them all and have around 30. You need two hands and have to set each on on top of the one below to get them to lock together. Better than the original Tanos.

Then Tanos came out with the T-Locks. They go together and come apart like magic. Not as strong and not as efficient storage. Harder to make efficient drawer units in that system. Then they came out with the Midi size, which will stack above or below the original size. Now we can hold longer tools.

Now Dewalt, Milwaukee, Ridgid have their systems. Mostly useful for larger stuff. They're all wasteful of space but I can see some advantages for the rougher trades.

Tanos stacks with Festool, Fein, Mafel, and Midi size units on top with bulky stuff and Festools magic cart:
    Systainers.jpg

Sortimo (Bosch) does hardware bins better than the others, although light stuff works well in Tanos drawers if you want to spend big bucks. If you want to get into the big box on bottom, you have to close the lid, push one clip in with each hand and lift the top box off:
    Systainer2.jpg

Other useful Sortimo mod using saved LED lamp foam packing:
    Systainer3.jpg

The Uline or others Plastic Bin Cups work well in the Sortimo boxes:
    Systainer1.jpg

Bin cups here:
    https://www.uline.com/BL_8820/Plasti...astic+bin+cups
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 07-20-2018 at 7:03 PM.

Thanks for all the replies! As I knew, there are a ton of options.

Mike Wilkins, I have a nice roll around tool box with a laminated maple top. It's stainless steel, my wife's favorite color, and was almost commandeered for service in her crafts shop...we barely escaped with our lives. That box works great in the shop but I've recently had a couple jobs that had, shall we say, challenging access. Thus the "portable" part of my question.

I will definitely give Tanos another look. I have some Festool that came in the t-loc systainers. I gotta say, a cost/benefit analysis of Festool products has always left me a bit underwhelmed. Still, they sometimes have exactly what I need that no one else is offering. I like that there are air compressors that fit the Tanos system. I suspect my 20ish YO Emglo compressor won't be my last job site compressor.

One thing I don't like about Tanos/systainer is the small footprint. I HATE digging for tools (or anything really) so I prefer shallower and wider rather than shorter and deeper. That's one appeal of Milwaukee's version. Durability isn't usually an issue for me. I'm a one man shop, I buy quality tools, once, and take care of them.

Van, your comment on long term availability is not lost on my...I can't tell you how many times I've seen the end-all-cure-all solution...over and over and over.

Again, thank you all for your insights!
    Tim

Tanos does have the wider containers...Lee Valley carries them and they work with the smaller ones, too.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...26,64664,70167

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Tanos does have the wider containers...Lee Valley carries them and they work with the smaller ones, too.
    Thanks Jim. I finally did come across those yesterday while searching. Lot's of choices!